• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Flashback Or Dissociation Or What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitebird

Confident
Yesterday while I was studying suddenly I found myself crying and shaking. I couldn't remember what happened before crying. It was the first time that it happened to me and I was alone. I feel really anxious about it. What if it happens in public places?

Have anybody experienced it before? Any idea? Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance

I had something similar happen in a church once, but my dad had just died 3 days before that. None the less, I sobbed for 20 minutes or so, uncontrollably, I could not stop nor did I want to stop. I had not been able to cry when my husband died or when my mother died, but when daddy died, that was the final thing that broke the damn open wide. I got thrown out of that church, but I really don't care. It was what I needed at that time. They knew my dad had just died, they even knew that I had not been able to cry for years before that, but they were worried more about their image to the public than a person's welfare. So I joined another church, and things have gone fine there. If I cry a little quietly someone hands me a tissue if they notice, but often no one even notices. All is well that ends well. Life goes on....

Yup, I have had this unfortunate experience quite a few times. Crying while I know I have something worth crying about is still hard for me. I think my need to cry just kinda sneaks up on me when my guard is down. Sometimes I find a root cause, sometimes it remains a mystery. I just let the mystery be. Agonizing over it just seems to lead me down rabbit holes. Mostly I think I am just purging accumulated emotions.

stretches and a snack help me shake it off. I tend to starve myself and a little extra fuel helps.

Gentle hopes while you sort yours, whitebird.

Hi, Whitebird, it happens to me as well, from time to time. Sometimes I start crying or shaking on the street, sometimes even in front of my class-mates, but mostly when I am alone. It is good to try to call somebody, just to hear a well-known voice, I find it really comforting. Or start doing something, that will keep you paying attention - i.e. computer games... I believe you will find other ways of coping. Don´t be afraid...:hug:

I'm sorry this happened. It happens for me now and then. It is embarrassing. It's like I'm going along, and then bam, I'm on the ground in tears in full emotional meltdown. It feels so awful on so many levels. It's even hard when it happens in public.

I carry things with me in my pockets that help me ground (like a rock from my therapist - silly I know) and I do the best I can to pull myself out of it - usually involves leaving and taking a brisk walk.

I also take breaks when studying or working on something where I'm likely to kind of zone. I set my cell phone's alarm to vibrate and I do a quick check in about him I'm feeling and do something to ground every 20 minutes or so. This external cue to preemptively ground myself seems to help make my emotional flashbacks further apart.

I carry things with me in my pockets that help me ground (like a rock from my therapist - silly I know) and I do the best I can to pull myself out of it

Thank you Justmehere.
I think the rock would be great. Thank you for reminding. I have an amethyst. It's a gift. I can carry it to help me to ground. And it's not silly at all.:)

That exact thing has happened to me before! But what helps me calm down, is to remember I'm safe, and I'm not there anymore. And sometimes I just need to cry. Usually if I'm in public, I think what would my counselor at school tell me. -she would say that I'm safe, and it's okay to cry.

A lot of the time I think It's built up emotion that needs to be let out..I could be totally wrong though..

I'm sorry if this doesn't help!! :(

I have them all the time. Sometimes I have them in public places. Had people say are you ok? Mind are from viet nam. Wish I had some ideals for you. Hope everything works out for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine happen at odd times but are usually triggered by music. I was out trail running one day and broke down sobbing so bad I had to stop and sit in the mud. It was because Unknown Brother (Black Keys) was playing. I had lost my brother the year before. Happened again a few weeks ago: Her Morning Elegance (Orin Lavere)came on as I was finishing running. I started crying so hard I though I was going to throw up and had to sit down on the floor. If I listen to those songs right now- nothing would happen. They wouldn't phase me but the head space I enter when I run is strange and things work themselves out up there without my attention or knowledge. If something is playing at the right time: BAM!

It's happened other times as well but I couldn't put a finger on the trigger. Almost always seems to happen when I am alone and out in public. I just excuse myself or leave as fast as possible.

I am usually confused about why exactly I am crying unless there's music playing in the headphones or I am actively tracking my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back