• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Flashbacks Where You Can't Remember The Present During Or Afterwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldTiger

New Here
I am not sure this is the correct category or not but this is something I have not been able to find much information on. I don't know how normal this is but is happening more and more to me. I have military flashbacks and it is normal for me to not realize the present occurred. What has happened is I get confused afterwards as well not realizing the present has occurred not knowing where or when I am. Then sometimes when I learn when it is I don't understand why I am in the army after my ETS date (still not remembering discharge and having a recent military experience). It always takes time and this has started to happen with some nightmares as well. My doctor thinks my flashbacks might be having a seizure like effect as an explanation. I am not so sure that is the case but it does seem to be making me more irritable as it occurs more. Does this happen to other people? What do you know about it? What research has been done? What is it called? What are your experiences if any? Just wanting input.

I'm a bit confused by your description. What exactly are you experiencing, step-by-step, during the flashback? Or are you just asking if it is normal to have disorientation afterwards?

I am also not sure what you mean about this happening in nightmares. Can you elaborate? Do you mean you are experiencing flashbacks in your dreams?

I'm a bit confused by your description. What exactly are you experiencing, step-by-step, during the flashback? Or are you just asking if it is normal to have disorientation afterwards?

I am also not sure what you mean about this happening in nightmares. Can you elaborate? Do you mean you are experiencing flashbacks in your dreams?
Well, the flashbacks are visual, auditory and everything. They can last awhile and the dreams are nightmares that can lead to flashbacks sometimes on awakening. The biggest part is it normal to have this level of disorientation afterwards.

My awareness of the present place and time usually returns no more than, say, thirty seconds after I "come back." I wouldn't say the disorientation is abnormal, but I would say it sounds pretty acute.

Are you seeing a professional? I'd be curious for their take. My first T seemed to think it was a bad sign if I was flashing back or seriously dissociating (utter gone-ness) in front of people, but I never really asked her why.

I used to have flashbacks that it took a long time to reconnect with the present. Sometimes My legs would not function, I learned some skills in residential treatment that help me ground and reconnect more rapidly post flashback.

I think I understand what your talking about. I am going to say it back to you, as I understood it. Please correct anything I got wrong.

You have a flashback (visual, auditory). When you "come back". You are aware of your current surroundings, ie: You look around and see that are suddenly in a kitchen, in a house. But do not understand why you are suddenly in a kitchen in a strange house, when you should be in the army. During this time while you are still confused, you may learn the date, but have no recollection of everything that happened between when the memory that you were reliving stopped, and reality started.

For an extended period of time you have a sort of amnesia. As well as a mood/personality change?

Has your doctor discussed trying medications? Either standard anxiety, antidepressant medications. Or even epilepsy drugs?

I wish I could give you some answers, this has to be incredibly disconcerting.

The other thing I want to ask you is. When this happens, do you have someone there that you trust? That can keep you calm and that you believe, when they tell you that you are safe. Until you come back to your senses?

Most of my flashbacks I'm kind of dual aware of both the present and the past... But the present is all blurry.

Some of my flashbacks, the present is gone entirely, and I'm stuck in the past. It's like having a nightmare while awake.

Some of my flashbacks the present & past are both clear, but all jangled up in some kind of clusterf*ck I can't really sort out. These are my dangerous ones, actually. Because I'm reacting to people in the present as if they're in the past.

SemperFi OldTiger, untangling this stuff is a pain in the ass.

@Neverthesame
That is sort of correct and my doctor has increased my topamax that I take for my headaches that is also a seizure drug. It can take an hour to get sorted out. I am already on like 11 medication so we have to be careful what we add. Therapy has failed in the past and coping skills is the limit on and off as it can be handled. Memory causes lots of problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same problem, I wake up trying to wipe the blood off my hands, It takes me about 15 minutes to relise I am safe and at home, I then seem to be in shock for the next couple of hours, I just feel numb, I smell the air and taste what was around my that day.
Its hard for anyone to understand how you feel without having experienced it themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back