• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Flooded after finding out a perp will be prosecuted

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous

MyPTSD Pro
I just found out someone who hurt me is going to be prosecuted. I can't say anything more about the situation, since it's a pending legal case. It's an old situation, not recent or on-going. I'm putting this under dysregulation because I feel all the feelings. Sadness and anger and fear and I am edgy and restless.

I am so upset and my symptoms are spiking today after finding out. What the hell? Why can't I just be happy this is happening?

I reached out to my trauma therapist and someone else who is safe... they all tried to tell me this is great news.

It all makes it so real.

Has anyone had this kind of response to finding out a perp is being prosecuted?

I may know exactly how you feel depending on reasoning I guess. I felt many emotions because I knew I had to face him in court...and all the scrutiny that details.

Do you think the possibility of having to stand before him is causing your dysregulation?

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me to feel like this.

I think if I found out similar I would be out of my head triggered as well. It seems that when I think about it, I would feel very exposed and there's an element of reliving that is going to go along with this.

While my ex wasn't prosecuted per se, I did get awarded a restraining order. Going in and having to HEAR his voice was horrible. Hearing him argue that I LIKED it, etc? gut wrenching. Hearing my therapist stand up in court and tell him that he was directly responsible for my PTSD? Made things real in a way that it had never been before. The fear of not being believed and then BEING believed, having him confronted all of it was emotionally overwhelming.

The lead up to it that day I almost didn't make it in. I was planning suicide if it went sideways. Actually called to talk to a friend and sort of say good bye to him that day.

So yeah. This all sounds horribly reasonable to me.

I'm not sure what it is. I'm sort of worried about how they will try to weasel out of this... I'm anxious about what they could try to say and having to be asked about it.

At the same time too, another perp was already prosecuted, and the day they were sentenced (a decent sentence) I broke in much the same way I am now.

I think the happy dance comes after the cell door slams behind him and you know its done for good. Until then it would make sense to me that you would have a ton of mixed emotions.

Reactions: New
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back