• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Fn-2187 (finn) Ptsd Or Not? [star Wars: The Force Awakens]

• Thread starter Deleted member 28403
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 28403

Just an idea that came to me to discuss on, as I have seen the movie. What do you think?

Yea, I am surely overthinking on just a fictional story, but it does pass a bit of message to the common folk about the disorder, as most people don't have any idea what it is.

There is a lot of stuff pointing towards PTSD, after the mission in which Finn sees a huge amount of massacre, women and children also being killed, mercilessly, he is broken in a way.

He cannot do what he's been programmed his whole life to do, and he cannot obey orders. The traumatization is clearly shown, directly and through metaphors. With the mark of his blood covered palm on his helmet, him shaking and so on. Even taking off his helmet, something that is shown to be forbidden.

In later scenes, and in additional works he is shown having nightmares, shaking and sweating while sleeping, and waking up to instant battle position. Crying while sleeping, and so on.

The first experiences were indeed very traumatizing for him, but that is not where it stops, Finn directly witnesses many more additional deaths. And along with him being in the middle of a war, he sees soldiers he fought alongside with before die, and later major characters of the movie.

I'm just wondering as to what more will be shown of him, or will they just ignore it as a whole to make the movie (which was already lacking reasoning as a whole) even more impulsive and in that way senseless.

Any opinions appreciated :)

Indeed, I've just been thinking so much lately of it appearing everywhere in popular culture, maybe we should make a thread that adresses that and kinda list it a bit in a way?

There's a thread somewhere about fictional characters with PTSD. Simply Simon, nominated Remarque's "all quiet on the western front" as being her personal favourite, and I agree.

Back to star Wars
IMO, It was full of PTSD, I had difficulty hiding tears when I watched it.
The character of Ray, is certainly portrayed as having something on the develepmental trauma spectrum, and Skywalker is away isolating...

I also wondered what Ray's arm warmers are for, is the character, or the woman who plays her, hiding SH scars?

Going back a lot of years to the (IMO excrementally bad) film with Jabba the Hutt - where did the slinky outfit that Jabba stuck Princess Leah into come from? Was Jabba a secret tranny with a rack of slinky girly outfits?

another good film for a portrayal of PTSD including dissociating during the rape scene is the Scandinavian TV interpretation of Larsson's "the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back