1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Food Assistance For US Residents - No Financial Proof Requirement

Discussion in 'Social' started by permban0077, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

I figured I would post this as this is something I am about to sign up and do. I did well enough as many of us did in the past that we would never have to do this and then learn PTSD can wreck our finances when we are uninsured and do not qualify for aid as your spouse makes too much (OK, my scenario there). Which is total bull since no one wants to count hundreds a month going out in therapy. My doctors easily equal rent payments/house note. So If you are like me and cannot work, or do at a job that you can barely keep a roof over your head... You know how it goes. We spent our retirement and lost our home due to my PTSD. Yet we qualify for no assistance unless my husband decides to be a bum and well, he isn't and busts his butt for his family. Personal responsibility can be punished I guess when you fall ill.

This is the nice thing, it is open and welcome to all no matter your income. No proof of income required. This is great for penny pincers too who want to save where they can. This is great as if you cannot handle going out and about anyone can go do this for you once a month.

There is grocery shopping (a good bulk) done for you as it is prepacked, you take a box for them to pack. There is a grocery menu preplanned with a lot of meats, some dried beans, fresh veggies, and the like. No second hands or out dated foods. It is not a regular food pantry as the menu is preplanned. You don't have to wrestle with what to buy or make when we get overwhelmed and confused doing it (I know I do). You still go else where for things like eggs, milk, bread.

Now you have to post a sign up in your house not to forget the order dates that are very limited and those are about to be wrapped up for this month. You go the following month after placing your order (2-3 weeks) for how many boxes you wanted and paid in advance. In a few states this is $30 dollars for a lot of food. Most states it is $28. This is really a bargain.

Please check out this site. Maybe other countries have this sort of thing but this one was recommended to my husband. I think this is a blessing for us with PTSD really. And I know we are getting to where we need to do this, well, we have needed it for a while. My hubs aunt uses this and has nothing but good things to say about it.

Any way check it out for your self. http://www.angelfoodministries.com/hosts.asp

I hope this can help others here who need help anyway they can and do not want to feel like a burden on our tax dollars. This is not a state/government entity at all from how I understand it. This is people and businesses giving back to the community. It is a blessing really. They even have choice cuts of meat like strip steaks and T bones in add on packages you can add to your order if you can splurge that are still bargains. I really wish I knew about this months ago with a teen who inhales food as he is growing like a weed and is fed up with beans and rice all the time.

New menu every month and many locations. Even if you do not think you need it right now this would be a good way to help save money for when PTSD bites so bad you will need the extra cash you saved. Please check this out. It appeared to be in every state.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. permban0077

I also wanted to add I am going to try to look into this type of thing and see if it is offered in other countries as well when I am feeling better and thought I would post this while I was thinking about it.

4. cactus_jack

cactus_jack Well-Known Member

Looks like a great program. Unfortunately the closest one to me is 135 miles away. :(

5. permban0077

Oh no, may be worth forwarding the info or the home page to some local churches to see if they would get involved since it is done through them. Just a thought to get the ball rolling. I am thinking about doing that in my home town as we have to do a drive too but certainly not 135!

6. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

This is a wonderful program! For the first years we were in Florida (and money was really tight) I participated in a similar program called SHARE. Not sure if SHARE is only in Florida, though. You $18 per month and give two hours of volunteer hours anywhere (i.e. babysitting, cutting someone's grass, driving someone to the store, ect.) and you get food double the value of what you paid. Both of these are good programs for helping.

Good resource, veiled.

Lisa

Lisa

7. ovation228

ovation228 Member

I found that SHARE is pretty widely available in the Washington, D.C. metro area.
    www.sharedc.org

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar