• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Food thread! how has trauma played into food behaviors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By inadvertence I mean happenstance. Eating just because. Wondering what you'll have for dinner then...
So, it feels like you have to work and spend energy just to plan meals. That is difficult... I worry about it but have less restrictions.

That reminds me a little bit of my friend who is allergic to everything he's had so far except for chicken and rice. So he started experimenting and eventually got to the point where he had 20+ recipes memorized that he could make quickly and without having to think and plan for it all day.

At least he wasn't too traumatized...

I make most of what I eat from scratch, except for this dark chocolate bar I'm nibbling on, lol. I have diabetes, so sometimes my stomach doesn't empty so I don't eat much for a few days. Then I'm extra hungry. I eat yogurt a lot, since it's easy for me to digest. There is a positive correlation between obesity and child sexual abuse, but that doesn't prove causation. Still...

How can you make 20 recipes out of nothing but chicken and rice?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have a weird food related thing I do related to my trauma:

I tend to always have at least one thing in the house that I wasn't allowed to have. They're not even that good of food items, they're just things that would have gotten me in deep shit, and they were forbidden. In general I had to eat whatever he felt like, and sometimes I wouldn't eat at all, or I'd have really small amounts of rice or such things as my only food.

I used to shake when I went and bought those things I wasn't allowed to have, just after I had freed myself from my psycho ex. It seems really dumb, lol. But I guess it can have an effect to have no choice over what you eat, over the course of years.

As a child, I ate poor food. I remember going to the dentist and having 14 cavities. I didn’t eat for days on end.
I went off to college and had all the food I wanted, but my body couldn’t handle it.
I became macrobiotic and ate foods to provide perfect proteins. No meat or sugar but I did drink coffee. Even when I went to Europe I managed to eat right. I was very healthy and enjoyed feeding myself good food. I was very aware of combining yin and yang foods for balance.
Then I moved in with my boyfriend who slowly took away my cooking. He criticized everything I cooked, so it became a western diet. I nursed and fed my kids macrobiotically. They were never sick. Ever. Then I had my nervous breakdown due to the chemical exposure I had. Since then, I hate food. I am afraid of chemical residue on fresh food. At times all I’ve eaten was fruit. Lately it’s been caprese salads and yogurt. I wish I could get back to that young woman that put time and positive energy into my food. I just don’t have an appetite.

I keep meaning to read this thread. I keep thinking I could write a post. I keep running away. Can we sa...
No rush! :)

I do have a weird food related thing I do related to my trauma:

I tend to always have at least one...
I've found myself doing that, too... especially with ice creams and other sweets. Also salt. Sometimes I ban myself from eating them, but I'll impulsively eat them anyway.

As a child, I ate poor food. I remember going to the dentist and having 14 cavities. I didn’t eat...
What kinds of food were you making before?

Salads and yogurt aren't so bad :) I'm sorry that happened, and maybe you'll be able to do it again sometime?

You know, I expected this to come up on its own and I bet it will eventually, but I'm just so curious, so I'm going to just bring it up.

How many of us have eaten non-food items? As a kid, I ate paper, rocks, dirt, and dimes and pennies. Anyone else? :P

Hello Littleoc,

So, let's start a food thread :) How has trauma played into your food behaviors?

I didnt eat any vegetables or fruits for a long time. It took me a few years to make myself eat so called healthy food.

haven't quite figured out every way to get rid of the fear of starving,

This sounds similar to me littleoc.

And what do you do to get better, if anything?

Eating 3-5 types of vegetables/fruits...water... I avoid artificial food. This is due to the fact that I am quite conscious about my looks.Thats what keeps me motivated to eat healthy, to always look young and good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back