• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

*For the ladies* PMS and PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlene

MyPTSD Pro
Good morning.

I have a question for the ladies of the group. Since you started having PTSD symtoms, has your PMS gotten worse? Or better or stayed the same? I guess that would be the scientific way to do this. LOL

For myself, since I started having symtoms, I have had the worst PMS of my life with (PMS) symptoms I'd never dealt with before. And it wasn't just the week 'before'...it was all month long. I have a friend who's an herbalist who recommended evening primrose oil to help. I took it for two weeks (with a lot of doubt) and then I guess I got enough in my systems and now, at least, that part of my life is back to what's normal for me. I take my doses faithfully now! :wink:

Just wondering if this is just affecting me or if anyone else has dealt with this.

Marlene,

It may not be PTSD related. I just know that ptsd can make a whole lot of normal symptoms worse. It's like a catalyst or it intensifies all the feelings. I've had PMS long before I was diagnosed with PTSD. It gets fuzzy here though in that maybe I was working so hard to keep the memories supressed that when I became hormonal (PMS), it just threw everything kilter. Who knows. I've got depression thrown in there too so it's hard to determine what "disorder" was causing the PMS. It could just be that I'm just a really cranky person!

I'm glad you found a solution or a "cure". I have taken evening primrose oil before for pregnancy. Of course, that's a whole "nother hormonal stage! I'll be checking back to see what other girls post....

To answer the question, I am not sure. I have always been the type of person to just accept what it is, not really paying any attention to it, because I felt like nothing could be done about it.

Now with PTSD, I understand that things can be done about things. The question has piqued my interest and (I think) I will pay more attention to it in the next few months.

I have always been a bitch to put it simply during PMS. You combine PMS with symptom flare ups, you learn to stay the hell out of my way.

But as far as cramps, bloating, headaches... no change. Attitude... I scare satan.

I have always had really bad emotional swings during pms. Not so much cramps or other physical. In knowing how bad my anxiety levels get I do believe the two are related. As for it getting worse during a relapse I'd have to say the PTSD, anxiety and depression is just catching up to the PMS.
Remember we have wonkey brain receptors anyway so who knows for sure.
Joannag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back