• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News For Those Living In Australia... Is This True?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumors

MyPTSD Pro
Australian Gun Law Update
Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real
figures from Down Under.
It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.
The first year results are now in: Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent, Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent;
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!
In the state of Victoria.....alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!)
While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.
Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in 'successfully ridding Australian society of guns....' You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information.
The Australian experience speaks for itself. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.
Take note Americans, before it's too late!
Will you be one of the sheep to turn yours in?
WHY? You will need it.

^^^^This was a post I pulled off Facebook...

This post is not designed to be a debate on whether or not gun laws need to change in the US or to politicize an ideology or pit a political party against another or turn it in to a religious debate. If this thread turns hateful, I hope the mods will shut it down. However, if this is true and Australia's crime rate has risen this drastically since gun confiscation, what is the government doing to prevent or scale down on crime? Would love to hear some of you weigh in.

My opinion only. Doesn't take a rocket scientist (although politicians seem to grapple with this), to see that people who don't give a crap about laws and abiding by those laws, will see an unarmed population as their personal play ground. This doesn't surprise me at all.

Thanks for posting Rumors.

The reason that the founding fathers were so adamant about including the second amendment into the constitution was so citizens could protect themselves from the tyranny of government.

There are now people in our government who want to end our second amendment rights so they can exercise tryanny over us.

Hmmm what this article fails to take into account is Australia has an epidemic of ice use at the moment - we are one of the worst countries in the world for thd use of ice.
I think the rise in violence (which is actually palpable here) has everything to do with that and would actually be unimaginably worse if firearms were freely available!
This article is very skewed!
I live in Australia and I am very grateful for our firearm laws. It doesn't stop the violence but it's too too easy to pull a trigger and kill someone in a fit of fury.

Oops sorry - one more thing. Shootings are not common here, although it's true that a lot of the criminal element here do have guns. But you usually only here of shootings between criminals - there's no drive by shootings etc. The violence is usually physical

from
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...ed-gun-laws-and-ended-mass-killings-1.2456250

"..everal facts emerge. First, the rates of intentional firearm deaths were substantially higher in the 28 years before the gun control measures were adopted in 1996 than in the 17 years after. How much of that decline can be attributed to the new policies can be debated, but the difference is clear.
Second, the initial drop in firearm deaths in the decade after the 1996 restrictions were enacted appears to have levelled off. In 2013, the most recent year for which figures are available, there were 200 gun-related homicides and suicides, for a rate of 0.87 deaths per 100,000 residents. That is up slightly from the low in 2005, when 0.82 deaths per 100,000 residents were recorded, but still far below the 2.71 deaths per 100,000 residents in 1996."

and
"There have been no mass killings – defined by experts there as a gunman killing five or more people besides himself – since the nation significantly tightened its gun control laws almost 20 years ago.?

the more damaging reality for Australians is that their housing bubble will soon break

in fact, it is exceedingly vulnerable at the moment secondary to the Chinese stock market sell off and the introduction of capital controls by The Party.

whenever the Aussie Bubble breaks, the systemic damage to their banks will cause their markets to crash, the banks will face bankruptcy and the gov't will 'take' the public's bank deposits and pensions and give them to the banks to make the banks 'whole'...of course the law has already been passed to perform this 'bail-in'

with bank balances taken, pensions taken, stock market crashed, record bankruptcies, record unemployment, record foreclosures, and the gov't bankrupt, etc... i think the Aussie minds will be more focused on survival than gun laws

naturally, "no one could have seen this coming" will be the media/poli refrain even though we've known for a decade that this was inevitable

anyway, no one will believe me or care:rolleyes:

G'day

if this is true
Ah no! A piece like this is written to support a pro gun position in America and to do a whole lot of scaremongering. This is a classic example of a distorted cognition of conformation bias.

How about next time before you post a thread on something like this you spend 5 minutes googling? Like this person did here: http://farfarsouthwest.blogspot.com/2006/03/smell-is-not-chanel.html

https://bmgworld.wordpress.com/2013/01/16/147/
Serious peer referenced articles - these are no Internet Chain Mail spoofs like the one you quoted above.

This was debunked back in 2001! http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp

Moreover, the opening paragraph mixes two very different types of statistics — number of homicides vs. percentage of homicides committed with firearms. In the latter case, it should be noted that the Australia-wide percentage of homicides committed with firearms is now lower than it was before the gun buy-back program, and lower than it has been at any point during the past ten years. (In the former case, the absolute number of firearm homicides in Australia in 1998-99 was the lowest in the past ten years.)

Suicides dropped in real time in Australia, after the gun buy back - and didn't translate into other types of suicide in Australia.

Last edited:
I think that Australia as a sovereign nation can do as they please but should also not worry about the US. Personally, I believe in guns because I don't feel comfortable relying on 'police protection' I live in a state where guns are almost banned, I don't like it because I know that the police won't care if I had anything happened to me. They'll arrive late, spend all night cracking jokes over my body, while eating donuts. They don't give a f*ck about me.

If Australia wants to rely on police, so be it. Maybe they move at hypersonic speed, don't see people like me as worthless and actually prevent or at least solve crimes.

If a masked intruder or whatever came to my house or tried something in the street, I don't want a cellphone, I want a gun.

Also, we must respect cultural differences. It seems that the criminals an Australia are very nice and polite and all one has to do is say "stop or I'll say stop again" and barring that they'll surely give you a few minutes to ring the police :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back