1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Sufferer Former Law Enforcement Officer Shot

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bdharrel, Nov 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdharrel

bdharrel New Member

I was shot in the line of duty approximately three years ago. I returned to work after the wound healed. Eight months later, I responded to a complaint. Upon arrival, gun shots were fired at approaching officers. I freaked. Needless to say, I too have been diagnosed w/ PTSD...
    Life has become one full of medication and seclusion. :pills:

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hi BD, welcome along. Yep, the two way firing range, something we all love to imagine we would cope well in, yet when it happens it certainly opens many eyes to the reality of possible death. So you got a bullet from the situation I presume BD? Certainly not a nice thing for any person to witness, let alone be part off. I know all too well about them from operations, and they are not nice whether viewing or being within.

Many people freeze, and take a lot of motivation to get moving once within the situation. I feel for you BD, and I am sorry you had to experience this for yourself, let alone being hit as well.

How are you holding up BD? Really...

4. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

welcome to the forum, bd. this is a good, safe place to learn, vent, feel "normal" for a change with people that "get it".
    cathy

5. bdharrel

bdharrel New Member

Thanks for the welcome.

It is really nice to find a place where other people understand what I am experiencing. I am "holding up" to saty the least. I just live day to dayand try to vanish as much as possible.
    It is really strange. I am always looking for PTSD information online and just happen to run into this site last night. This is great. :smile:

6. nov_silence

nov_silence Well-Known Member

Welcome!!!!! Glad you are here.

7. Mystic

Mystic New Member

Hello

I also found this forum last evening looking for information on PTSD. I am new here and have a partner that was a Viet Nam Vet and so I know what that life of seclusion is all about, I see and deal with it daily.

And the flashbacks, they have to be the worst thing in the world when your attempting to live your life and interact with people and then something around you happens, and you turn into mush, I've seen my guy do this too, and all I can do is be there for him.

God Bless you and yours.

8. wildcritter44

wildcritter44 Active Member

bd,

I was a communications dispatcher for 15 yrs. I left the field in Dec 1993 so I have been out for a while. I had a variety of calls in those years. Officers involved in shootings, stabbings, traffic accidents, etc. I also went through the police academy in 1978 and became a reserve police officer, while I was dispatching for another agency. After a few involved calls on the street, I quickly realized I did not have what it took to be a street cop. So I stayed in dispatch and hopefully became a better dispatcher because of my knowledge on the street. I know I took a lot of crap from fellow dispatchers because I would do stuff with out being ask to do it... I did a lot of teletype investigations for drug enforcement etc.
    I'm truely sorry you were hurt, both physically and emotionally. Generally the physical heals so much quicker than the emotional stuff.
    My husband is ranger2_75 and was in the military and has PTSD. We are coping, tho some times are easier than others. I believe it cost him his 1st marriage.
    hugs to you and if you want to talk about things send me an e-mail...

9. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

BD, sorry this crap has happened to you. Don't have PTSD myself, rather I am a family member on this forum, however I understand being shot. Was shot myself while deployed overseas, several years back. Welcome to the forum. It is an excellent place.

Jim.

10. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Welcome BD and Mystic. Nice to meet you both. (no I don't do well in introductions so I will yap at ya both in the other sections.)

Bec

11. Boo-Damphir

Boo-Damphir Active Member

I'm sooo there with you on the whole topic of "re-traumitization" - it really hits hard.
    I'm glad you are here, hopefully you will find comfort and comraderie as we move through this life.
    ~Boo

12. Josh77

Josh77 Active Member

Welcome, BD!! You're in the right place!

Josh

13. splost76

splost76 Sleep Management Editor

Bd, just wanted to welcome you to a great place, and hopefully we can help you relieve some anxieties, and vice versus, were here to help each other.
    Shane

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar