• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Found a really helpful app for me (mind-mapping)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's basically for mind mapping (Mindly), like what you do on paper with one big subject in the middle and then branch it out into smaller branches. However this one, you can do on computer and unlike traditional mind mapping apps with zillion features, it's awesomely simple with just enough customization.

You wonder what that helps with at all? In general it's great for creative people so you see your ideas in a non-linear way. As a creative person with creative job, it helps a lot with that. BUT right now, it also helps me manage the way I overthink in anxiety and panic in few ways.
- first my mind can get easily cluttered and overwhelmed (sometimes from panic...sometimes from inspiration...but still)
- second sometimes I feel like I have too much to complete and cannot complete it. So I write many lists, use project apps to prioritize which things are for the current moment, for soon, for the future...but still these are too linear.
-third, sometimes when I'm panicky from overwhelm and worry, I improve it by writing a list of the worries and dealing with them separately.

...why this app works for me:
I can do it on my tablet, or phone, any time.
It's digital and simple with the ideas in a circles around the main idea, so you don't have to wonder how to best express yourself when you're in overwhelm mode.
With swiping, the ideas circle around the main idea, you can rotate the circle with the sub ideas. THAT I find really important for making mini to-dos that way, when I have tasks which are simple, like chores for example, but they are not more important one over the other and let's say I can't decide which to start with- you can spin the circle, and start with one. Also, because that way, instead of seeing a list you see the circle of ideas around the main one. For whatever reason my mind processes that a LOT easier.
So I tend to use it a lot when overwhelmed too, to put some calm and order in my head. It's one of my new coping things. Sometimes I feel like I can't manage and have too much for no reason at all and then when I open my mind-map for the things I have to do and worry about, I can see in very colorful pleasant way, that I can indeed handle this because it's not as overwhelming and impossible.
I know generally I should work on the getting overwhelmed part and I am...but in the meantime this app is fantastic, so I wanted to share it. I've found it really calming to have around.

p.s. I actually looked at the reviews when downloading and discovered that many people with OCD, anxiety and other disorders have found it helpful as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back