1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Freaked Last Night

Discussion in 'Sleep & Nightmares' started by Terry, Nov 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Last night I went to the corner store to pick up soft drinks. As I parked in front of the house an SUV turned into the cove pretty fast, put the head lights on bright, drove on the wrong side of the road toward my house. The SUV stopped in front of my driveway and the driver jumped out and ran toward me. Turns out she was just dropping off my mail which was delivered to her by mistake. I'm glad now that I have been getting out and leaving weapons at home B/C when the car stopped I was reaching for my gun which was not there. My neck still hurts.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Josh77

Josh77 Active Member

Terry,
    I can relate to that... after getting mugged and beaten half to death, I am always scared and on guard when i'm out of my house!! I don't know if that feeling will ever go away for me or not, but for now I just try not to let it run my life, except that it IS running my life! I get very scared outside of my house! I don't know if that's how you feel or not... if it is, you are NOT alone!!

4. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Josh, I even felt that way when I was on duty. Some days I got so bad me and my partner who would be in another squad car would go as far out in our ward and just sit it out. He's got PTSD pretty bad too. You just deal with it as much as you can. When I get scared though my training and experience make me fight and my worst fear is hurting someone if I'm out of control. I'm trying to teach myself to just freeze and do my own threat assesment.

5. ranger2_75

ranger2_75 Active Member

You are definately not the only ones, being hipper alert is part of our problem. <In an odd unfortunate way it's kinda nice to be able to say our problem:(.> I had a n interesting experiance a couple months back, I herd a loud boom while at Home Depot and hit the floor and shout contact 3 O-CLOCK! it was a piece of sheet rock that fell landing flat on the concrete floor. YES IT WAS EMBARESING, YES I DID LEAVE, YES you are not the only ones.

6. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Terry, I am glad this happened to you actually. Look at it for what it is. Not everyone is bad. If you had a weapon, you could have given her PTSD! Food for thought ha?

7. novemberDark

novemberDark Active Member

I'm trying to teach myself to just freeze and do my own threat assesment.[/quote]

Terry, when you experience in some way/somewhat how to do that, please share the info, so it can be passed on.

8. bob27

bob27 New Member

A deer freaked me good one night. Where I live in Alberta, apparently rabbits and deer will run down the street. News to me, the city slicker of 12 or so years. I was about to open my knife when I stopped and thought about it for a few seconds. That would have been reaaally awkward considering there was a vehicle driving next to me.

novemberDark likes this.
  9. novemberDark

The one in the vehicle would have freaked too! and made a wrong threat assessment.

Deer out of place, maybey they should put the road signs up, add the bunnies to it! (Just kidding). Thinking something funny about it after re-assessment is a good way to defuse.

I think it's great when you can get yourself "in check" like that!.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  10. novemberDark

We were shopping, city grocery store, my buddy just stands still there (you know the metal nobs on the floor), I go "move it wtf we're in a hurry". The answer "I thought I just heard click". Good to know when to freeze, but out of place. Takes everyone a view to re-assess with a smile.