1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Freezing Up - Periodic States of Concern?

Discussion in 'General' started by aowyn, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aowyn

aowyn Member

Here I sit at the computer when I should be doing laundry so we have clothes to wear tomorrow, and my house is dirty. I did manage to get lots of homework done with kids today, a particularly difficult battle with them these days since they have issues as well (one subject is a trigger for oldest because there is an association with her father).

Anyway, I get into periods like this where I feel frozen...not sure if it's anxiety or depression, or sometimes trying to stay calm if that makes sense. It's like my mind is locked in a loop sometimes, not so much fear really. So because my mind is locked in a loop, my body is like in neutral.

Ok, I'm going to do a load of laundry now. :crazy-eye

Anybody else do this?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Andre

Andre Active Member

Aowyn, I often experience something very much like what you describe but at times it is based on my fears. If I am in a lecture or meeting, or part of a group even with some sort of leadership role I find myself endlessly reviewing the past and standing or sitting rigidly if I have a single moment where my attention is not absolutely focused on the present activities. I do not even notice that this has happened until someone yells at me or otherwise calls for my attention. Even when I am reading a prepared speech, there have been times that I have been startled into awareness that I have stopped reading at some point and have just been standing there for a few moments with my notes in front of me and in mid sentence too. I remember sometimes thinking about trivial things at length for no apparent reason, and at other times reviewing every bad time that I can remember experiencing. I am sorry that I can not be of much help except as a comrade in this.

4. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

All the time. It's going to happen. Just pick your good days to do chores or limit yourself to maybe an hour a day. Works for me.......sometimes.

5. aowyn

aowyn Member

Does it ever go away? Does any of this ever go away?

I think oldest d does what was mentioned above...as long as she is focused on something she's ok, but sometimes if her mind is idle she starts to do this.

Also...the title of my post, I do not remember adding the "periodic states of concern" part. I'm guessing this is helpful clarification by the admin? Thanks, I'm not sure where to post what yet either.:rolleyes:

6. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Aowyn:

Children and teenagers will react with PTSD very differently that us. A child or pre teen will have thier own set of reactions from the teen and then again both are different from an adult. Learn what is ptsd for them. It's a long process but well worth it. Having ptsd and a child/ren with it also is challenging yet handy.. I can sense when stuff goes off kilter for my son and he knows it with me despite the different symptoms..

K that was as much thought as I'm capable of today..

bec