1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Frustrated by Recent Setback

Discussion in 'General' started by Misfit, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misfit

Misfit New Member

Hi All,

First time posting here. I have PTSD due to abuse as a youth, to go along with this I have hyper sensitivity disorder (hearing primarily)

Its amazing how you can spend years try to get control of this disorder, and then have one event set you off.

I have been able to control the stess and discomfort that have been second nature to me. through therapy, research and awareness. however, recently I attended a funeral for my wife's relative and it appears to have set me back quiet severly. I cant eat, sleep or generally function, I just feel like all the energy has been sucked out of me. really I just feel like I did when I was a kid and the events that created this issue had just occured.

I know I'm being vague here about the issue that started things. and that is simply because I dont know anyone here. I do understand PTSD resonably well, , but even so its just amazing how even while being aware of triggers and all the things that can set you off that you work so hard to either control, or simply be aware of that it can just pop up and sort of slap you in the face. I'm not asking for help, but rather venting at my inabilty to be stronger then this issue, Ghosts of the past should not have this kind of strength.

Thanks for listening!

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Seeking_Nirvana

Seeking_Nirvana I'm a VIP

Hi Misfit, I understand your situation. I started healing about 3 years ago and thought I was doing well until a co-worker threatened to kill the manager. I had a nervous breakdown and ended up in the hospital. That was a major slap in the face for me because I thought I was OK with the symptoms.

I guess it's a good idea not to set ourselves up to think we are completely healed of PTSD.

I hope you feel better soon!

Peace
    Tammy

4. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

Hi Misfit,

Welcome to the forum....Ghost of the past.... I Like that phrase. Kind of works for me. Yes I guess they are ghost, that just keep returning whenever they feel like it. To bad we couldn't just do a giant exorcism to be rid of them. Just tell them to go peacefully to the other side.

Anyway...Welcome. :hello:

5. ovation228

ovation228 Member

I've had a lot of set backs keep me from making much progress. The last one biggest of all: my wife moved out.

All you can do is keep trying. It's the most frustrating thing to have other people constantly telling you that (at least it is for me), but there is much truth in it.

6. baileysemt

baileysemt Active Member

Misfit, the line above really rings true for me, you said it perfectly. This happened to me yesterday. Out of the blue. A song came on that is a direct line back to my trauma and it literally felt like it popped up and slapped me in the face.

I was having a great day, one of the best days so far, and I never saw it coming.

I felt so frustrated that I could be having such a good day, feeling like I am truly back in the saddle again, and then WHAM! Gone. Literally within a split second, I was powerless and spiraling backwards FAST. :(

I don't have the answers either :dontknow: just commiserating and sharing that you aren't alone in feeling that way.

Hope you are doing better today!! :)

Bailey

7. vst

vst Active Member

The "Ghosts of the Past" sometimes feel like a demon ruler. Each time a sexual molestation case is publicized I am over taken by the fear, pain and confusion I experienced. Eventually, after repeating to myself "it is not happening to me now", I will exorcise the "Ghosts".

I hate those setbacks. Life is so much nicer when I am feeling serene.

I am so thankful I found this forum and we can all share.

Blessing to all of you,

vst

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar