• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Gallipoli 100 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has it been 100 years? The Dardenells campaign was one the British Empires military disasters during the Great war. One of many.

It is less known about in the west due to the location not being on the western front. Like for example the battle of the Somme. It was also fought by the lesser studied territories involved. Namely the ANZAC against the defending Turkish armies.

It also goes a couple of names depending on what you are from. It was always referred to as the Dardenells campaign where I grew up. It is also known as the Gallipoli campaign in most other places.

Very sad, so many young men went there and never returned.

I find it amazing and sad that Hiram Maxim built his machine gun, with the intention of saving lives. He claimed that no military leader would be so foolish as to face a weapon so terrible. How wrong he was.

Lest we forget.

To lead by example, not to expect someone to perform duties one is not prepared to perform themselves I think they call it.

My great grandfather survived gallipoli only to serve at Somme. He survived that too only to return home with suspected ptsd. (It wasnt called that then but he returned with shell shock)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back