1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Gave Up Smoking - Cold Turkey

Discussion in 'Social' started by anthony, Feb 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

I have now been a week without cigarette, cold turkey, no aid. I thought stuff it, I have the mental power to achieve healing PTSD, I can certainly use it to give up smoking I figure. What do I know, it works with that also.

I figured this way the withdrawals will take less time, as nicotine will be out of me within the month completely, instead of patches or the like keeping it in my system, drawing out the process. I beat medication withdrawals, and this is a breeze compared to that nasty crap.

Feel lots better for it too. A little moody at times, but overall, keeping it in check and even surprising myself with that. Likely due to much less stress within this household....

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

Anthony, I quit almost 4 years ago. Keep up the good work. The part that amazed me was how long I actually sweat nicotine, which was good cuz the smell turned me off and kept me reminded of why I quit. I use to think that cold turkey was impossible. It is not. I went to bed for 3 days, watched old movies and tada it was over! Good luck

4. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

Anthony, that's I think it is hard to quit smoking cold turkey. Probably would be unable to do so myself! I quit 6 years ago, did not use any meds for it, but was reducing the number of cigarettes every week: no more than 25, then no more than 20 and so on. The stopping completely was painless, but I had gained wieght since started to eat snacks instead of smoking :redface:
    Yes, staying without cigarettes may be hard... But, I think, the one who could awoid smoking for 1 week, is able to awoid it for unlimited time.:thumbs-up
    What was helping me if I was craving for a cigarette, was eating a mozarelle stick slowely.
    Best luck!

5. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

Congrats Anthony. It's amazing what the mind can do!

6. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

Nice one

Well done Anthony, thats brilliant. Hard core to do it without patches, they say its more addictive than heroin! I personally cant say, seeing my grandad coughing his guts up from an early age kind of put me off before I even started!

7. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

Excellent stuff Anthony!

8. vcc123

vcc123 Active Member

Excellent news Anthony !! I think maybe I'll start!! :rolleyes:

9. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

wow, anthony. i am so glad for you.
    cathy

10. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Congrats Anthony! I quit almost two and half years ago and I'm glad every day that I did. Cold turkey is hard (I still crave the nicotine), but I think it's the best way.

Now if only my hubby would quit!!!

11. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

That's really great Anthony. I wish you continued success with it. I've never been a smoker but several members of my family have and I know how much they struggled to quit.

12. GR-ass

GR-ass Well-Known Member

woo hoos

and does the happy dance

Umms, now for cass to stop flogging everyone elses smokes :headwall:

13. mac

mac Active Member

My mother and one of my uncles both smoked cigarettes from the time they were teenagers until they both quit cold-turkey in their 40's. For me, growing up around second-hand smoke sucked! I'm glad I never got interested in it, probably because of my mom's habit. Although, if I had access to weed I would give it a try (couple drags) just to take advantage of the 'calming affects' it supposedly provides.