• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News George Zimmermann Case And Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Reallydown,

Also, intothelight, your comment that this can't be about race doesn't make sense.

You made this statement and I am going to ask you why it doesn't make sense? I didn't say that "it can't be about race" as what I said was:

How can this be a case about race when both parties are "of color"?

What specifics about this case lead you to believe that Zimmerman used race as a motivation to shoot Martin?

Reallydown, I ask the questions because I really want to know what other people specifically thought that made this case cause such racial polarization. My take was different as I saw two people make some really bad decisions that ended tragically.

No worries, intothelight. I should have been more precise. I took your statement to mean something along the lines of well, they're both "of colour" so they can't be racist towards each other. Perhaps I misinterpreted what you were saying. Also, I believe the reason Zimmerman profiled, followed and felt threatened by Martin is because Martin is black; ie. he acted because of prejudice and stereotypes. Would he have felt threatened if that was a white kid in a hoodie?

Um, they profiled each other.

Jesse Jackson eclipses (somehow) Al Sharpton by appealing to the UN:

Jesse Jackson Calls on U.N. to Intervene in Zimmerman Case

Calls for Congress to hold hearings on the death of Trayvon Martin don’t go far enough for Jesse Jackson: He’s demanding international oversight. The reverend wants the United Nations Human Rights Council to investigate the case as well.

“And it’s time to call on the United Nations Human Rights Commission for an in-depth investigation of whether the U.S. is upholding its obligations under international human-rights laws and treaties,” Jackson said. (CNS.com notes that the Human Rights Commission was actually replaced by the Human Rights Council in 2006.)

U.N. officials, including the council’s top official, weighed in on the case when it first began to unfold. High Commissioner Navi Pillay called for an investigation last year. Other committees associated with the council pointed to the case in terms of race as well and criticized Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” laws.

The HRC is often criticized for being composed of nations notable for their own human-rights violations. Last year the terms of China, Cuba, and Saudi Arabia expired, but Pakistan and Venezuela remain members.

P.S. Rachel Jeantel profiled as well... suggesting Zimmerman was a "gay rapist".

More than enough "profiling" for everybody I think.

Protesters take over Governor Scott's office chanting "Who's world is this?" (reply): "The world is ours, the world is ours, the world is ours."

I emailed my governor. It's time for him to grow a pair.

Tallahassee reports: "TALLAHASSEE -- Roughly 60 protesters filled Gov. Rick Scott's office Tuesday morning demanding to meet with the governor and calling for a special session to address issues surrounding the Trayvon Martin case.

The group, comprised of members of Florida New Majority, League of Women Voters and Dream Defenders, have said they won't leave Scott's office until he agrees to meet with them in person. Scott is in New York for the day, but organizers say they will wait, even if that means staying all night.

The group sang songs and chanted as they made their way down the hall of hte capitol to Scott's office. They also carried a banner, saying "End Racial Depression."

The group said they want Scott to call a special session to address racial profiling and the Stand Your Ground law.

The group, comprised of members of Florida New Majority, League of Women Voters and Dream Defenders, have said they won't leave Scott's office until he agrees to meet with them in person. Scott is in New York for the day, but organizers say they will wait, even if that means staying all night.

The group sang songs and chanted as they made their way down the hall of hte capitol to Scott's office. They also carried a banner, saying "End Racial Depression."

The group said they want Scott to call a special session to address racial profiling and the Stand Your Ground law."

About the "Dream Defenders": [DLMURL]http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/07/15/Trayvon-s-Attorney-Crump-Denies-Connection-To-Astroturf-Activist-Group[/DLMURL]

Things that make ya go "Hmmmmmm".

Pretty interesting to me that 4our Americans, including the U.S. Ambassador and two former Navy SEALs killed in Benghazi -- never mind! But a teenage dopehead from Miami makes the mistake of attacking an armed guy in Sanford, Florida, and we must drop everything to investigate this injustice.

I wonder if Hillary had retorted in this case as she did when questioned on Bengazi "What difference does it make?" How that would hold up for her.

Really frustrated about this nations priorities, but hey, keep getting distracted by the magician people... it keeps your mind off what is really going on in our governance.

With all due respect, Albatross, the Benghazi case is quite different from this. As for the Martin case, who wouldn't feel threatened by a guy with a gun following them in the middle of the night? What does the "dopehead" comment have to do with this? Whether or not he took drugs, he did not deserve to be killed by an overzealous vigilante.

Pretty interesting to me that 4our Americans, including the U.S. Ambassador and two former Navy SEALs killed in Benghazi -- never mind! But a teenage dopehead from Miami makes the mistake of attacking an armed guy in Sanford, Florida, and we must drop everything to investigate this injustice.

Wow! A teenage dopehead. That came off a little racist to me. The language you used throughout your posts. You should think about that some imo.

. Why didn't Zimmerman stay in his car, like the police advised him to? In fact, if he was so scared, why not leave it to the police, get in his car and drive away? But anyone who says this isn't, at least in part, about race is seriously deluded.

Sad, but true, the USA is STILL a racist nation! Each one of us need to remember that we ALL bleed RED!!! This case did bring out what people 'think' was hidden. Racism is alive and dangerous until we become more tolerant of each other's differences.

It starts with each of us, one at a time, refusing to judge people by their color, only their behavior!!

Oh, and don't give the media your trust! They just want to 'glorify' the bad, and not the good! Avoid the news, and don't believe everything they say!!

Neither "teenage" nor dopehead is racist... but then any descriptive term for Trayvon, is off limits unless you subscribe to the narrative provided by his supporters.

Like I said both (Zimmerman and Martin) were culpable. Neither party or their families will ever be the same.

Interesting to me that you'd rather pick apart one descriptive comment about Trayvon Martin than discuss either the astroturfing "Dream Defenders" which may be connected to Martin's team (Crump) or the appealing to the Department of Justice or the United Nations about this case and whether it is or is not appropriate.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -
"Protesters upset with the verdict in the George Zimmerman trial are remaining at the Capitol even though Gov. Rick Scott has said no to their demands.

Scott has yet to set foot in the Capitol since a group of young protesters began occupying his office on Tuesday. The small group wants the governor to call a special session and ask legislators to change the state's self-defense laws.

During a Pensacola stop, Scott said it was "great" that people were using their free-speech rights. But he would not say if he planned to meet with the protesters.

The governor also maintained his stance that there is no need to change Florida's "stand your ground" law.

Steven Pargett said protesters will "wait" and "wait" for their demands to be met."

This Floridian says, "Let them wait, but appoint a special investigation for Angela Corey."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back