• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Getting Fit After Long Term Depression? Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe to begin with, something I can do at home would suit...

Walking is a fabulous weight bearing exercise so it's really good you are able to do that.

We tend to underestimate the power of walking when initially starting an overall fitness plan but it's really important to take the time to let your body get used to the weight of carrying itself before moving into something more challenging.

If you feel ready to move on and you want to do some weight resistance at home and you can afford it, you can get thera-bands - they are like giant elastic bands only one long piece rather than joined, and you probably have used them with your physiotherapist. You can increase the resistance as well to give you a greater workout as you get stronger.

There are lots and lots of videos on youtube that might be helpful in continuing your plan.

Bets wishes on your fitness journey.

Before ptsd, until 2008, when I was physically fit....I found that I was not very disciplined about the "exercise at home" programs such as tv or video's or exercise bike. I went to gym and did machines, walked and went to aerobic classes. I get distracted at home so badly and don't do it. Now I have some fear about going out and walking alone...and even to the gym. I have run into my assailant only a couple of times but he lives locally. Not only that, but his buddies, as they know I have disclosed openly. A bit complicated but the fear is there. Maybe some is humility more than ptsd.

Anyway, I really applaud those of you who are getting healthy....still baby steps here...

Walking is a fabulous weight bearing exercise so it's really good you are able to do that.

Thanks @City Slicker

Gotta agree about walking :)

I remember yews ago losing a large amount of weight and the main exercise I did was walking. And so I suppose I thought I could just do the same again this time. But when I started, I noticed my body really felt wrong - like as if the tendons were all too tight or as my muscles were very weak.

That's why I've been been taking this very gently and looking for any helpful info.

Anyhow I feel fine when I go for a walk now, amazing how quickly the body rights itself when you treat it right, am so thankful for it.

:p re therabands, saw my Physio Monday who has progressed me to the next set of exercises which involve a theraband and so I had to buy one and it arrived today. Seems like it gives good bur gentle resistamce, not jerry or too much. I like it.
Shall look at what exercises you can do with it :)

Before ptsd, until 2008, when I was physically fit....I found that I was not very disciplined about the "...

Thanks @brat17 I can relate there, just got back from my walk today, I left it till later than normal and it was already dark. I didn't like that so much, so I'm gonna try and get my walk in earlier each day.

Am very much baby steps here too, anyhow understand, hope you find something that works for you when you're ready :)

When I realised what a bad state u was in after only a short walk - lots aches especially in my back and terribe pain in my ankle - I stopped walking got help with my ankle and spent some time doing a short bit of time on my exercise bike for a week or two ..

I'm really happy I've gotten through that patch

Kind of feels like I'm trying to rehabilitate myself after years of abuse, PTSD & depression.

Has an...
If you're up to it, maybe try Pilates. It has both strength and stretching but doesn't have the posing quite like yoga (that I remember).

Make sure you start slow and drink alot of water

Thanks @Zoogal

I don't think pilates would have occurred to me, I think I thought it was something well off peoole do with strange equipment lol.

Found this page on the NHS website, they have videos for beginners on yoga, pilates, strength and resistance, and aerobic exercises. They look pretty good :)

Also found a set of cards I almost for got I had on different stretches, tried some out and they feel good, gentle, and great for releasing a bit of the tension.
Happy days

I know this isn't for everyone, but I recently got a punchbag to box. I'm a pint-sized woman, and I love it. Really energising to just beat up a punchbag, it feels really empowering. It's also a great, healthy vent for anger, that just builds up otherwise. I think it's my new favourite exercise after dance! I've always wanted to feel like I was capable of kicking someone's ass if I had to ;) :P! My friend with PTSD has been trying to get me to go to boxing class with her for ages, think I just might go - I've read it's really awesome for working through PTSD symptoms, I remember van der Kolk saying it was his favourite form of exercise for integrating the body and mind, and working through the freeze response. This probably isn't the best exercise to start off with if you haven't done any in ages, but just thought I'd throw it out there ^_^!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back