• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Getting Laid Off Has Been Amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beemo3780

Confident
I was laid off from my high paid tech job about a month ago. I had been there 10 years. I was told it was because of the change in the political environment, and the company had to cut jobs to prepare for the future. My entire department of 8 people were let go. I was really upset and depressed for the first two weeks. My husband got really worried because I was angry and sad at the same time. I worry a lot, and was terrified that without my income coming in we'd be screwed financially. I got a severance package, and had a small savings that should last a while, but it was really scary. I felt like a failure, and like there was something wrong with me. It was a horrible feeling.

I've also never not worked. I was out on my own at 17, and I've worked either multiple part time jobs or full time since. I had applied at a couple other jobs but it seems like companies want to higher younger people in tech now, I'm 37. Every interview I went to, there were other applicants fresh out of college there. First time I've ever really felt old, and I definitely don't look old.

I ended up applying to go back to school. I start in 3 weeks. I've been able to turn one of my art hobbies into a business in the past 2 years, but now I have time to really focus on that, and I'll be opening up a storefront May 1st. I planted a raised vegetable garden, and have been able to landscape my yard. I'm not stuck behind my laptop 15 hours a day anymore, and I'm so much more relaxed and happy. My job was making me miserable. I worked with highly competitive women who would throw you under a bus to advance their career, and men who thought it was "cute" for a girl to be working in our field. I don't know if I ever want to work in an office again, and I don't know if I want to work in tech again.

I guess it's still early to really tell if things will work out, but I'm really starting to feel like things happen for a reason. All the bad stuff that has ever happened to me has always propelled me into a better, healthier place, and I've been made stronger because of it.

What an awesome outcome to a bad situation, and your attitude comes thru in your writing... happy for all the positives that have happened.... ya, one of those things that end up being for the best !!!
Thanks for sharing this morning... made my day !!

Good for you!
I was let go from my job over two years ago and haven't looked back. It pissed me off big time, too, but it didn't take long for that feeling to go. I hadn't been happy there for a long time and they actually did me a life changing favor.
I am so happy for you going back to school and changing directions. Good luck with it - we are never really stuck, even though it's hard to know how to change things sometimes.

Proof that money doesn't always buy happiness! Happy to hear someone is happy about life & if I may be so bold to offer a smidgeon of "advice"...I would tell you to not forget to set strict work hours for yourself & take a vacation at least every 3 years to avoid burnout!:singing:

I wish I could've taken a vacation when I was working! When I married my husband, I had to work a half day, go down to city hall to get the marriage license, work the morning of our wedding, and then the very next day. It was insane. I've had surgery one day, worked that night and the next day. I was always on call, and even with the month PTO that I had available to me, I rarely had a request fully approved that I submitted. I did this for 10 years, so yea, burnout was a very real thing. I'm done.

I wish I could say money isn't a big deal, because I'm definitely not interested in downgrading my lifestyle. I have a daughter about to go to college, I have a mortgage to pay, cars to pay off, bills, etc. My husband makes good money, but we've always split everything down the middle, and I don't want him supporting me.

I've actually thrown myself into several new projects to keep cash flowing in. I have 3 big conventions I will be setting up a table at in the next 2 months, I'm working on art projects for a film set, I've been looking at store fronts to setup shop in the next month. I'm using my severance payments as an opportunity to setup my plan B.

I also have severe social anxiety that I usually have to take medication for, so I'm hoping I can avoid working in an office setting ever again. I've always worked better alone and don't have much patience for people, which doesn't make me the best candidate to have people working under me. I'm stubborn, I don't like people (especially men) telling me I can't do something, and I have a tendency to be very blunt about things. Going back to college has been a challenge with some of those issues. Usually my driving force is because I'm a perfectionist, and I will do things to prove that I can do them. I successfully replaced all the pipes under our kitchen sink because my husband told me to wait for a plumber after a pipe started leaking. I sometimes drive him nuts, lol.

I'm a tiny girl that used to be afraid of everything, but I've been fighting back and seems to be working out so far.

I had to stop working because of a combination of PTSD, and arthritis in my back. I was so depressed I could barely function. I was no longer allowed to ride horses (I've been riding since I was 7), or bikes, so I didn't know what I even liked to do anymore. It took me two years to find new things I loved doing, and I have gardens and chickens and can also replace pipes and fix things around the house. I'm poor and happy with my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back