1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Go, Do It! If Your American, Then Vote Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Social' started by cookie, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

y'all that are in usa, go vote tomorrow, it's more than a privilige, it'a our duty!

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

I'm not in the US, but I have a question cookie... it's not the presidential election, is it? I thought that wasn't for another 2 years. Is this some other kind of election?

4. Farmer

Farmer Active Member

These are the mid term electiions for the Senate and Congress. I hope I got that right.

5. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

there is a general election every november. no, its not a presidential election. but because this election could affect the numbers in the the majority of the house and senate, it could have a major effect on the next election. hope that helps, i am not much of a civics student.

6. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Its hard for me to wrap my head around the screwy American voting system, where Australia is just compulsary to vote, and you do get fined if you don't vote. I think America needs this system also, so that everyone is getting off their arse and having their say, instead of whinging about it after the fact.

7. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

But Anthony...that's one of our favorite pasttimes!!! LOLOLOLOLOL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8. wildfirewildone

wildfirewildone Well-Known Member

Brief note on voting....

Okay....all you citizens of the USA!!!! GO VOTE TOMORROW!!!!! Let your say on the mistreatment of the homeless...poor...and disabled be accounted for!!!! If you are in those groups [and I AM!!!!] vote Democratic!!!! You have seen what the Republican politicians have taken away in aid for all of us....Time to turn the tables!!!! :clap: :clap: CREATE THE PEACE.....KEEP THE PEACE.....LIVE THE PEACE ..... NO MORE WAR!!!!!!! BRING OUR TROOPS HOME AND TREAT THEM RIGHT!!!!!!....wildfirewildone

9. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Oh that's cool, compulsory voting! I would like to see that here too. We just had a civic election (for the mayor and councillors) and I think only 30% of eligible voters turned out for it.

We don't have an election of any sort every year, I think provincial elections are every 4 years, and federal elections also every 4, but they don't have to be synchronized with each other, and the provincial elections are not all at the same time, either. They can be called at any time of the year basically. But then we're on a parliamentary system which I think is very different from congress. I don't know much about the American system either, haha.

Anyways I agree, all you Americans should vote today. Voting is a privilege and a duty!

10. kimG

kimG Well-Known Member

Yes, it is our duty to go vote. Yes, we should do it. Yes, we have no right to whine about the way things turned out later on if we don't vote. And Anthony, yes, we should change the way things are done. I agree with all of these points.

The corruption in America is rampant these days. It's even worse in American politics. Where else can we have someone be elected President by the people of the nation through what is called the "popular vote" (i.e. every day people voting) only to be overturned by the archaic system called the "Electoral College" who then elects the "other guy"? It's the national equivalent of banging our heads against a giant brick wall - because it keeps happening. Changing it has been an on-going discussion by those who truly can change it, but so has the topic of doing something for the oil crisis too. IMHO it won't ever change because too many people gain from it.

Democratic, Republican, Independent, whatever...don't just vote party lines - vote for what is best!

This is just my opinion...and we all know about opinions...LOL...

I'm off to vote...

11. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Is that what happened in the last presential election, kim? Electoral College (what that is... ) I remember watching parts of it on cable TV and they were saying the democrats were going to win because they won in Ohio... but then a couple of hours later, they didn't win after all. Ugh confusing haha.

12. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Can't find my ID or voter regsetration... UGH, hate my head in my ass. Hubs headed out without me to do it. But considering everyone up seems to have their heads up there ass anyway... Gee it is hard to choose between the lesser of the evils... I swear I don't even have a clue to start this year except for the outspoken off the wall lunatics like Kinky for Govenor for Texas. He is rude and crass but hell at least he isn't trying to say he isn't! I like no BS people but every one of them have their pockets lined and you have to be in a special club to get in...

I don't skip normally (girl shocked hubs did not take me) but am skipping this year. Main reason I see idiots on the street and shit I think I have to get out to cancle out their's!

Can't wait for the Presidents running next year, I want to know who. BTW if Hillary ends up on the ballot and heaven for bid win, I may move to Canada! Shudder, her running the White House again??? Well, at least Bill would be occupied LMAO... Would love to see her and Rice go head to head. A black woman president would be such a cool leap.

13. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

hey,veiled- i could vote for rice!