1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Go To See A Furry Healer - Pet Therapy

Discussion in 'Treatment & Therapy' started by Linda, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

Did anyone tried, or heard about, the pet therapy for PTSD? I mean, use of trained animals, or keeping a furry thing which makes you feel better.
    I have two cats, one of them is very indepenpent, but another one, a large black boy, is a 16 pounds of pure love. :kiss: When really nervous, or anoxeous, or even after waking up from the nightmare, I put him on my lap, pet hip and listen to him purring. That really helps me to put things under control. I also have my Guinea Pig, and petting her helps as well. There is no surprise that I have positive effect from animals: was an animal lover for as long as can remember myself. But my husband, who had never been a big fan of pets, seems to benefit from his relationship with our old Cocker Spaniel.
    Anyone had similar experience?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. slhlilbit

slhlilbit Active Member

Yes i belive that pets are great therapy. when i get real upset about anything my little dog knows and she comes and sits as close to me as i will let her and if im crying she crys with me. (no joke). she will then start licking me in the face if she can . :cool: :cool:

4. Scott_Fraser

Scott_Fraser Well-Known Member

Hi Linda, yes I totally agree with you. Whenever I'm stressed my dog Sparkie comes up to me and sits beside me and lets me pat him, it helps me to calm down. Dogs seem to know these things.
    Scott

5. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

I was talking about this to my friend last night! I believe that there is something in this, particularly furry pets :) I think it's nice to engage with life that is not human sometimes. It's less complicated, more loving and simplistic without all the crap humans can and have put us through, and they don't talk back! Some animals really seem to detect when their owners are down, there is something altruistic in that which I love.

Lisa.

6. Gradon

Gradon New Member

I was thinking of getting a cat once I move into a new place. Y'know, someone to be home with you, to relax with you, that isn't another person. Sounds like a good way for me to develop some independence.

7. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

I've read that petting animals can lower blood pressure and do all sorts of beneficial things for your body and mind.

I have a grouchy, old lady cat (the kind where she will tell you when she's ready to be petted-other than that time, it's hand's off!) but when I'm having a bad day, she'll find me and lay down next to me. And she let's me pet her. LOL I know it makes me feel better having her next to me when I'm feeling rough.

8. Portabella

Portabella Well-Known Member

I have 3 dogs and two cats, and not to forget him one Guinea Pig. (I also have a goldfish, but he is not furry). I consider my pets part of the family. Funny though each of my animals were rescues from traumatic events, they have a story too, each and every one, except the Goldfish.

My dogs help with the night terrors, I turn to them to tell me if there is anyone there that should not be. My dogs sleep in bed with me and help me to feel more safe. I wish they would allot me more room in the bed however. They know when I am upset and will not desert me, they are wonderful!!!!

9. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Animals do wonders. I had a hobby farm and they were all my friends from the dogs to the geese (I had over a couple hundred animals and knew each one). They just centered me until maintaining the farm was too much. Nothing brightens your day like when you hear little cheeps coming out of the incubator after a good hatch. I think baby chicks and especially newly hatched goslings and ducklings are the best as they follow you everywhere thinking you are mom... So fun to cuddle. I had a gosling that I let follow me in the house on the farm. She was a nut, or I was.

Since my move I have 3 cats, 2 dogs, and 2 bantam hens now living in a parrot cage. One hen who has been my baby for a few years now "talks" back to me and coos. She also does kisses. My smaller guard dogs is amazing at picking up panic attacks and being there for me. One of my cats is a moron and "too there". Hope to have the farm again and debating as Spring is coming firing up the ol bator to do hatches for people so I can just enjoy that miracle again.

10. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

My animals are also all rescued.
    The first cat, Captain Grey or CG, was picked from thetreet at winter time. The second one, Joe Black, my best kitty, was adopted from teh shelter. The dog has her story: I had friends who moved back to Russia and left the poor old thing in their apartment. So, I had no choise but lick her up. The Guinea pig presented to the animal hospital where I was working bone-skin, with her teeth overgrown, and with her little body covered with wounds. She had maggots everywhere, too. It took an IV catheter placement and some advenced care to bring her back to normal. Her name is Amber, and she is my little buddy.
    I always feel a lot more comfortable with animals, and tend to kiss every friendly dog or cat I see. There is no problem with letting an animal close to me, and with being surrounded by animals.
    During my trips to me husband's homeland, I met horses, cows, pigs, goats, chicks, turkeys and other farm animals, and spent lots of time with them. That was really relieving.

11. Scott_Fraser

Scott_Fraser Well-Known Member

Hi Linda, when I was in Russia, my girlfriend took me to her parents house in a villiage 70 miles north of Moscow. And it was there one night that I heard the wolves in the forest that was nearby. So the next morning her father put and me went into the forest to see the wolves, we were wearing white snow suits so that we could blend in. We came to the wolf pack, we were down wind of them so they could not smell us. I felt honoured to be so close to these magnificent animals and to see them was amazing experience. Wolves have been given such a bad press over the centuries. And I can never understand why. Your country has such brilliant wildlife and I hope that the authorities continue to protect these magnificent animals.
    Scott:hello:

12. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

Scott, unfortunatelly Russian authorities can only protect their packets :die:
    The endangered species are protected by law, but there is an axception for everyone who can pay enough for hunting. I always hated hunting for fun.
    I make some poems in Russian language, and many of them are about the wolves, their demand of freedom, their wild nature, their fearlessness. In Russia, we have a saying: "The wolf dies with his face toward his enemies".

13. PtsdSpokane

PtsdSpokane Member

I got in on this thread a little late, but I have 4 cats 2 parrots and a cornsnake and they are the best therapy I could ever ask for!! Whenever I am having a rough day I just have a quick snuggle with one of the fuzzys and I ALWAYS feel better :)