1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Good Memories / Happy Times... They Need to be Remembered, Too

Discussion in 'Social' started by Marlene, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

I know that dealing with some very unpleasant memories is part and parcel of PTSD, but I think it's important to have some sort of balance. At least it's important to me to find some sort of balance while in the middle of dealing with all of time. A good memory, thinking about a happy time...something that always brings that small smile to your face. This is the balance I'm talking about.

So...I'll start out.

Whenever I think about a happy time the one that almost always comes to mind is when my hubby and I were stationed at Fort Knox, KY. It was a beautiful fall day and we went to a park on post to play with our puppy. There wasn't anything monumental about the day. It was just one of those days that stay with you. I was about five months pregnant with my oldest daughter. I remember the sky being such a deep blue with no clouds. The breeze was very cool, but the sun felt great, too. Just being with my husband and enjoying the afternoon. Not long after we transfered to Ft. Hood, TX and he was gone so much in the field and then I had my daughter and it seems like I've been busy ever since. Maybe the reason this memory is so special to me is that it's one of the last times it was just he and I together.

Britt.f7 and Rain like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Absolutely Marlene. For every negative (unpleasant memory), you must search for two positive (pleasant memories). This way it keeps positive in favour over negative.

4. GR-ass

GR-ass Well-Known Member

I was talking about this to my councillor. I have actually started remembering happy childhood memories as well as the sucky ones.

I remember when I was little, we were in the car, it was hot, and I was absolutely fascinated by the glitter n my pink fairy shirt. We were singing the 'off to see the wizard' song from the wizard of Oz.

5. wildcritter44

wildcritter44 Active Member

When my daughter was younger and I was working and making ok money, we took vacations to just sight see and traveled through numerous western states discovering new and different things. When my daughter got bored we'd put on a cassette tape of sing along songs and being singing very loud, off key as we were speeding down the highway to the next adventure....
    She learned a lot about new places and I loved seeing a new area that was more beautiful than where we're from.. We went to National Parks, Caves, river boating, etc and we camped each night at a different KOA. We loved to travel and explore...Of all the places we've been my favorite is Yellowstone National Park.... there are so much to see... critters, geysers, etc...(we were a long way, about 1,000 miles from home) I know that was a good thing, as my Dad & I never got along, especially as an adult.

We enjoyed thunder storms and it even snowed on us 4th of July on one of the passes in Yellowstone... It was fantastic... I took lots and lots of film of everything....

6. wildcritter44

wildcritter44 Active Member

Now that my daughter is older (22 yrs) and has a life of her own I spend my time with my wonderful hubby (of 6 yrs) (ranger2_75). We recently went to Ft. Bragg, CA, USA for our 6th anniversary. Just enjoyed the coast, had a couple of nice meals, visited a friend for a few hours. Mostly it was nice to just get away from where we live.. The ocean is a great place to visit...
    The coastal area is always green, smells of the salty air, and the sounds of the surf is relaxing....

7. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

I do miss the ocean....I just didn't like the city next to it. (LA). I can smell that salty air...and picking up shells and feeling the sand give way every time the water came up....

A good memory.....taking Strawberry (my heifer) to the fair for the first time. I took care of her since she was small but I didn't do well in competition since I fed her a bit too much! She may have not been the best looking heifer, but she sure was comfortable to lay on for a summertime nap after a long day's work on the farm!

8. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

Most of my pregnancy was absolutley exhilarating, I was so thrilled, happy and full of joy. Felt absolutely beautiful even though I went from 130 pounds to 240. Carried it well though, all in my stomach, and when I needed sleep it would have to be either at the kitchen table or my husb. would help me into a lying down position on my side. Of course he, had to literally pull me from bed in the morning bc I couldn't sit forward or get out of bed. It was awesome. And then the big arrivals!

9. Marlene

The Christmas when I was 8 or 9, I got my first bike. It was too cool...hot pink with a banana seat that had pink and purple flowers on it. There was also a basket with big pink and purple flowers, too. It was totally 'chicked' out! LOL

Although one of the best memories I have of that bike is when my super macho brother (two years older than me) had a flat tire on his bike and had to borrow mine. If only I'd had a camera with me that day! *evil grin*

10. Josh77

Josh77 Active Member

Good Memories

I remember crawling into bed with my wife to go to sleep:sleeping: and just curling up with each other:kiss: and spooning. Sometimes i couldn't sleep because i was stressing over things or just afraid to go to sleep, and just feeling her heart beating up against me made me feel good;:smile: just knowing that she was there. I have many fond memories coming up now that i was able to say goodbye to her in my posthumous letter!!

I remember her singing certain songs!!

But, some memories are just for me to enjoy, so i'll stop there for now... i'm sorry everyone, but i have to keep some private; I'll still share some more later, though.

Josh

11. Marlene

When I attended kindergarten, it was a half day schedule. I remember coming home and sitting in this big, ugly, black recliner with my grandpa (mom's dad) who lived with us. We would sit together and watch the old game show Password (don't know if anyone remembers that one). I don't remember us talking much, but I do remember feeling very safe and very loved sitting there with him. He would also smoke a pipe with cherry tobacco. To this day I can't smell that first light of a pipe without thinking about sitting with my grandpa in that old chair.

12. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

i remember visiting my great aunt avis out on her farm, wayyyy out. it was always pleasant there, and she had a way of making everbody feel special. we just had good times, looking at her arrowhead/artifact collection from their fields, fishing with a pole in the cow pond, loosing my shoe in the muck, walking across a field--feeling the sunshine and the breeze, the scent of dirt when someone was plowing, cold water drawn from the well for a drink. i always hated it when they came to take me home, i think i would have stayed there forever.

13. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

This is a really terrific idea Marlene, great that you thought of it. I have a lot of great memories from before the shooting. I had an awesome childhood actually. My mom died when I was young but I loved my dad. We got to travel a lot because of him being in the military... I've been all over the world. Most of the memories are too painful to share at the moment, but I will try at some point later on.