1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Got a New Warm and Fuzzy Story - Got a Baby Squirrel

Discussion in 'Social' started by Grama-Herc, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

:hello:One of the gardeners that works on the grounds at my complex brought me a present this morning. He brought me a very TINY baby squirel. I mean a VERY TINY baby squirel. So, Mommy Hercucles spend the day feeding the baby and this evening I took it to the local emergency clinic . They take in the orphans and turn them over to the local SPCA. The SPCA here in St. Petersburg has a rescue program for orphan squirels. This baby was so tiny. No hair, eyes still closed tight, all curled up in a ball---But definately responded to the eyedropper full of goats milk. It was so cool. I wanted to keep the little thing and raise it, but I have 3 cats so the baby would not be safe--even in a cage. Anyway, that is my warm and fuzzy for the evening. Hope it brings a smile to somebody

Portabella likes this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

That is cool, Herc. Nice to know that there are folks out there helping the orphaned animal babies. And nice people like you who help take care of them.

Lisa

4. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

Herc,

Cats can be taught to accept even squirrels. Years ago I had a cat, then decided to raise Cocketiel birds. My boyfriend(then) and I built cages, and bought mating pairs. After the eggs hatched, we pulled the babies, and hand fed them every 2 hours for 2 weeks, the every 3 hours, ect, till they were weaned. In about 6 - 7 weeks. At one time I think we had 18 birds. The cat loved the birds. It would jump up on the top of the cabinets, and at one time 3 or 4 of the birds would fly up, and start preening the cat. She never once hurt any of them. We could leave her unattended and never worry. She would even go into the cages and lay down.

Animals are so cool, I'm glad that you got to feed the baby for awhile.

Wen

5. Portabella

Portabella Well-Known Member

Herc, add another one to your "saved" card, great work, very inspiring and a real feel good story. I applaud you!!!!!

6. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Herc, that is so sweet. You keep taking care of those little ones!

7. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

Awww, Herc, that is great. It brought a smile to my face!

8. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

Glad you guys enjoyed my warm and fuzzy. I enjoy sharing these little stories and I must admit I enjoy being able to brag just a little too.

HERC

9. metis-siren

metis-siren Active Member

I have nothing to add aside for awe, and how amazing is it that you get to save the little wee fuzzies, and make sure they'll be alright. :)