1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got My Learner's Permit!

Discussion in 'Accomplishments & Success' started by batgirl, Jul 17, 2007.

1. batgirl

batgirl New Member

Well I received my learner's permit (for driving) today. I passed my written driving test which means I can begin to practice driving officially now, even on the highway and in town. I have to practice obviously, before I am allowed to take my actual driving test. Things are far too hectic today, but Uncle promises to take me out tomorrow for a bit, and I'm very excited about it.

I have had a phobia about driving ever since my dad was teaching me to drive. That was shortly before he shot my family and I, so up until this point I have associated driving with the trauma. Then recently I was also feeling kind of weird and guilty about driving because Brian died from driving while intoxicated. I haven't wanted my family worrying about me doing something foolish. It's took a lot of effort to get up the nerve to even take the written test. I am nervous about the actual driving as well, but I have driven some of our machinery here on the acreage so I'm hoping that will help. I still have a long way to go but just taking and passing the written test finally has encouraged me.
    Jim likes this.
  2. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt!

:claps: Way to go!

That is a huge step and good for you! I'm sure once you get used to it, you'll love it.

I find with my PTSD and my meds, I'm very cautious about when I drive. If I feel a little too medicated, dizzy or anxious, I just won't drive. I think it makes me a better driver.

I have no doubt you will end up being a cautious and safe driver too from your experiences. Good luck!

bec
  3. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Wonderful darling, I am very proud of you. Like Bec I am positive you will be a good, careful driver. I would say far better than myself but knowing what a horrendous driver I am, that is not saying much! :rolleyes:
  4. anthony

anthony MyPTSD Admin Staff Member Premium Member

Way to go Evie, well done and excellent work on your behalf for doing, not just thinking. Evie, welcome to independence.... you will be surprised.
  5. Marlene

Marlene VIP Member Premium Member

You go, Evie!!!!! Screwing your courage to the sticking place can be a tough thing. And you did it. Congrats and happy driving.
  6. batgirl

batgirl New Member

Thanks everyone! It's official, Uncle said he will definitely take me driving tomorrow, so I'm really excited! I hope I don't feel too nervous. He's making me learn on a standard. :p
  7. wildfirewildone

wildfirewildone New Member

:clap: I hope you stay brave as you go out driving with Your Uncle Jim!!!! Being behind the wheel is a whole kind of new experience leading to an increased sense of independance.....:wink: ENJOY!!!!! SPREADING THE PEACE
  8. anthony

What is a standard? Manual transmission I assume? As we know though, assumptions are not a good thing with PTSD, so I just ask.
  9. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Congrats!!! Good luck with driving lessons - I was doing mine up until April and am starting mine again in September... it's scary but it is fun, I think you will get a lot out of learning, and its another step with dealing another part of the PTSD and association....

Really wish you all the best with it!
  10. batgirl

batgirl New Member

Thanks wildfire and Lisa. Lisa, maybe we can compare notes since we are both practicing at the same time practically!

Yes manual transmission, it's mostly called standard transmission here, or just "standard" if your talking about a vehicle with it. I'm kind of wishing I was learning on an automatic, but my uncle says if I learn to drive a standard I can drive anything! :p
  11. mouse

mouse New Member

Way to go Evie here comes freedom ya your uncle Jim is right if you can drive a standard you can drive anything, This is abig step for you in the right direction, I am so happy for you.
  12. She Cat

She Cat VIP Member

Hi Evie,

Congratulations on your test. Learning to drive will be easy. I learned on a standard, and your uncle is right. Once you learn how to drive standard, you can drive anything.....

You may "buck" a few times, and stall out, but it will be ok.

I have done some reading on some of your trauma....You have been through a lot, have been to hell and back.....The point I want to make is this....You have been to hell...........But you have MADE it back. You are a strong young woman. Courageous, brave, and a fighter.

You could have given up, but you haven't....Keep fighting. Fight with all that you have, and when you're too tired to fight....Look deep within you for more strength. It will be there. You are a survivor....

Many hugs,

Wendy
  13. kers

kers VIP Member

Talk about conquering your fears!

Good for you, Evie. I'm glad to see you going out to seize even more independence.
  14. jods

jods New Member

Well done Evie!

Thats a big step & you made it. Now what sort of car can you see yourself driving in the future? Don't think you'd like to drive a tractor into town for a timmy's run lol.
  15. anthony

Yep, thats it Evie, drive a manual and you can drive them all then... My mother only ever got an automatic license here, and she has found it challenging at times if her car has been in for repair or the like, as most of us drive manuals for the better fuel economy. Well done and best of luck for your license.
  16. batgirl

batgirl New Member

Thanks for the good wishes everyone! Wendy, welcome to the forum and pleased to meet you, thank you for the nice compliments. Jodee no lol I would not want to go out on a tractor, although I have thought of taking the mule into town, but I think it's illegal. (?) By mule I mean our Kawasaki Mule, not the animal the mule haha. I can drive the mule really well, it's easy, it's got automatic transmission.

I was feeling kind of sorry for myself yesterday about having to learn on a standard. Uncle and I went out for my lesson and it was VERY hard. You need to have so much coordination, and I've never considered myself very coordinated. The vehicle kept stalling, or lurching forward, or making this awful grinding noise because I wasn't switching gears properly. I got really frustrated. I was almost crying at one point. It's funny, in some respects I like to learn new things, but I also always want to learn things quickly and do them really well right away, if I can't be really good at something immediately I often want to give up.

Anyways I didn't give up, Uncle wouldn't let me, and after close to 2 hours I actually made a smooth gear shift! After a bit of practice it wasn't that hard, I started to get the hang of it. I'm glad Uncle didn't let me give up. It felt really great to learn how to do it properly, especially since it was sooo hard for me at first. I still have lots of practicing to do but I'm really excited I got the hang of the stick and the clutch. And I was so busy concentrating and feeling frustrated over switching gears that I didn't think of my dad or the trauma at all! :)
  17. nugget

nugget New Member

Well now "missie" moo, what can one say that hasnt been said before me. Well done Evie big hugs chat soon Rob.
  18. Lisa

Lisa New Member

LOL okay, lets compare notes...

It's not easy learning to drive, I don't think anyone finds it easy. To make you feel better, I nearly ran over a family on my first driving lesson LOL! Not funny really I guess, and the woman did drag her kids across the road just as it went green! Rah, it wasn't good! I also had trouble remembering what side of the road to be on, because I was so used to being the passenger seat it was weird. As a result, I nearly went up a roundabout the wrong way! He asks me to turn left, I turn right. At first everytime I saw cars or people I starting shouting "OH MY GOD CARS AND PEOPLE!!!!!" LOL.

Got used to it... but I fear I may be one of THOSE drivers lol. So kangerooing, gear change difficulties, stalling... tsssscch you're doing well!
  19. Jim

Jim New Member

May have been frustrated. However. You did very well my dear. Better than expected. Very proud of your efforts.

Uncle Jim.
  20. Claire

Claire VIP Member

That's brilliant news Evie! Learning to drive is so exciting. I had an excellent instructor who just made be laugh every time I stalled at a junction. Everyone else behind me would be cursing and I'd be sitting there laughing my head off!

You'll get the hang of it and its a brilliant skill to have. A whole world of freedom.

PS. I had visions of you riding into town on a donkey for a moment there :tongue:
  21. hodge

hodge New Member

I just now saw this thread - congratulations, Evie!!! That's really an accomplishment. And to learn on a manual, too...to echo others, your uncle is right, everything else will be a breeze, it's true. I taught myself to drive a manual with my first real car. I stalled out so many times (in heavy traffic, lol) it was embarrassing, but I finally got the hang of it, and you will, too. It'll be like second nature with more practice. Here's to more freedom and independence for you!
  22. tailgunner

tailgunner New Member

excelant job

I am very happy for you, it is very difficult to take some leaps in life! I am sure you feel that great sensation that came with the completion of that task!
    I drive for a living, with that being said, may I just remind you of the most important thing of driving! Take GREAT care of YOU and those arund you, WATCH for the OTHER person, they might not be paying atention! Practice safe, defensive driving skills and you will be a FINE driver!
    Take care on the road, be safe!
    Tailgunner
  23. batgirl

batgirl New Member

Hi tailgunner, welcome to the forum. Thanks for the congratulations and the good advice about driving. I haven't been out again since my first practice lesson but I hope to go out again tomorrow. Since I started to get the hang of the stick shift I feel more excited about driving. I think I'm really going to enjoy having a license!
  24. batgirl

batgirl New Member

Oh and thanks also Rob, Hodge, Lisa and Claire for your congrats too. I haven't been on the forum much lately and it seems I need to catch up on posts but I'm tired. :p
  25. Nicolette

Nicolette ♡ Princess ♡ Staff Member Premium Member

Too true Evie. Congratulations.

How is your driving going?