1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Greece

Discussion in 'Social' started by 2quilt, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

Hey Y'all, We just got back from our 3 weeks in Greece, and we had a wonderful time! The weather was perfect and the food was delicious. We took 800 photos, and I have a few funny stories for you. We went to Naxos, Santorini, Crete, Rhodes and then back to Athens. The funniest thing I did was that I walked up the staircase to the bathroom in a restaurant and while I was in there, I noticed how dirty the sink was--it had a man's whiskers all over it, and the shower looked like it had never been cleaned, and there was a pair of men's underwear on the floor that looked like a science project. I realized that I had made a mistake. I went back downstairs to my restaurant table to meet my husband who had a big grin on his face and he told me that the restaurant owner had come over to him and explained to him that I had gone into his cousin's apartment instead of the restaurant's bathroom!
    Can't take 2quilt anywhere!

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member Sponsor $100+

LOL!!!!!

Glad that you had a good time, and enjoyed yourself. Sorry about the bathroom being a little to dirty.... LOL!!!!

4. Awakening

Awakening Well-Known Member

I remember you planning your trip.
    Funny about the bathroom!

How did you like Santorini? Pretty amazing view huh?

5. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

I think this was our best vacation yet. Before this it was the Fiji islands, where we went for our honeymoon. Yes, Santorini was spectacular; I just could not stop saying WOW and Oh my Gosh as the ferry got closer, with everyone on that side of the ferry taking photos it's a wonder the ferry didn't tip over. Then as the driver took us up and up and up that one and a half-lane winding road without guardrails up and up to our tiny pensione room (off-season 30 euro per night I am very happy to tell, but not on the cliff.) We saw Oia town and climbed the volcano and did the "mud bath" and sulfur "hot springs" tour, saw the wine museum, black beach, red beach, and you should know what happened to the big archeological find on Santorini because this is one of the oldest and most important archeological finds on earth and it was damaged last year. We took the bus there, right next to red beach, anyway to take pictures. What happened is that the Greek govt hired a contractor to cover the dig site with a roof shading area to protect it from the elements, and that roof collapsed onto the artefacts and destroyed them. Greece is embarrassed and does not tell tourists about this attraction, of course, but our eyewitness travel book was written ten years ago and we use it because it is exactly the same as the 2007 version. So we knew how to get there and so we took the bus and took photos of the entrance and the Do Not Enter sign, and we saw what artefacts they recovered from the site in a museum. Other than that, we just had a blast roaming around the little private neighborhoods of 100+ year old brick homes, never two of them on the same level, with a community water supply spigot in the walkway where each family brings a plastic gasoline can to fill up the day's water needs. Stairs everywhere. And my husband and I were getting funny looks from everybody because I use a wheelchair, and yes, I can walk, and I also brought plenty of pain medicine.
    We save up for these trips and go off season so the rates for flights and places to sleep are low. Guest houses (in people's homes) are much less expensive than hotels and we get to learn the language. We have no kids, so travel is what we spend our money on. I am really good at finding bargains on the net.
    Ya know, every time we travel, something funny happens. Last December, a bird flying overhead crapped on my husband's head and plate and forkfull of food during Christmas dinner just one millisecond before he was to put it in his mouth. Everyone who was there was just howling with laughter.

Just in case you are wondering, we don't have just bathroom incidents every time we travel. We do have some variety.

6. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member Donated

I enjoyed reading your travel account. I'm glad you do have "some variety" on your travels, pretty funny :) As you stayed in guest homes, did you share any rooms with a lizard?

7. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

2quilt, I am delighted you had a wonderful time in Greece. My husband and I visited Greece frequently whilst living in Cyprus. However that was in the 70s so I am certain things have changed quite a bit since then.

8. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Sounds wonderful and so happy for you that you got to go! LMAO over your "breaking into" someones apartment to pee!

9. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

dog, cat, lizard

Yes, actually, we did stay in a guest house in Austin, TX where the lady had one of those hotdog shaped dogs who cleaned the ears of the cats in the house, 2 cats, and one of the cats carried the lizard around in her mouth. The lizard didn't seem to mind at all. They all grew up together so they all got along well. The house also had a tarantula in a glass terrarium upstairs, but we never met her. All the pets roamed freely in the house with the guests except the tarantula.

10. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member Donated

Oh, that's funny! The reason I asked that about your trip to Greece is that when I was in the Troodos Mountains in Cyprus, I stayed at a guest house that had lizards on the walls. They were there to eat the bugs, and I learned that was a pretty common bug-control method. I was pretty unnerved by it, but finally was able to sleep with a lizard on the wall behind me.