1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hair Loss?

Discussion in 'Symptoms & Other Disorders' started by Sianm, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Sianm

Sianm New Member

Hi,

I was diagnosed with PTSD 8 months ago, and the last few months I've been losing much more hair than normal. It's especially bad when I wash & dry my hair- a whole handfuls worth each time.

Can this be related? I know you can get temporary hair loss 1-3 months after a major stress, but is PTSD the same?

Has anyone had this? If so, has yours stopped?! Am worried I'm going to have no hair left soon! Can already feel it's thinner generally.
    Hashi likes this.
  2. NewWife777

NewWife777 New Member

It sounds like it's stress related. Whenever I am really stressed I lose hair which is really bad for the vacuum, LOL! Seriously though, I take a skin, hair and nails vitamin. You can get it from the grocery store or GNC. Hope this helps :)
  3. Hashi

Hashi VIP Member

I've had a lot of hairloss. (I'm female - checked your profile and saw that you are too.) I know how worrying it is but don't despair. Unless you've had physical damage to your scalp, then it can and will grow back when you're able to give your body the right conditions. I lost almost half of mine over the last two years and it's growing back now. :)

I think most of the time hair loss relates to hormones. Stress will affect the adrenals and other hormones. Nutrition is also important, especially keeping blood sugar stable - that comes back round to hormones because excess blood sugar can trigger too much male hormone production in women (we all produce a small amount of male hormones normally) and that can then cause loss of hair.

I'd suggest:

a) If you haven't already, talk to your GP and get all the blood tests you can, including iron, blood sugar, thyroid function and vitamin D. Even if blood sugar comes back OK, you still need to think about your blood sugar levels, because the test is done fasting so it won't pick up on what your blood sugar is like after coffee, fruit juice, cereal etc.

b) Eat to stabilise your blood sugar. Try not to have junk food, coffee, alcohol, white bread/pasta/rice, processed foods like microwave rice, sugary stuff, fruit juice and very sweet or starchy fruit (banana, mango etc). Instead - moderate amount of wholegrains/brown rice/new potatoes (try not to have too much of any carbohydrate), lots of non-starchy vegetables, not too much fruit and plenty of protein. Eating protein with things helps slow down the release of sugar into the blood.

c) Take a good quality vitamin and mineral supplement - not a cheapo one - and especially have a zinc supplement (I take zinc picolinate) and chelated ("easy") iron.

d) If you highlight or dye your hair, don't! Or, only use pure henna and plant dyes - watch out because the ones sold generally as 100% plant ingredients are often not pure and can contain hidden mineral salts (which can cause hair loss). Can explain more if needed.

e) If you take thyroxine for an underactive thyroid, you'll need to look into that. Too longwinded to explain if it doesn't apply, but it was actually the main cause of my own hair loss, and not something the NHS will pick up on.

As you can see, I've done a lot of research and experimenting. It was horrible losing so much hair and I hope you're able to at least stabilise yours very soon. But it does grow back - lots of people like to tell you it won't but, interestingly, those seem to be people who haven't had hair loss. Everyone I talked to who'd experienced it (from stress, pregnancy or whatever) confirmed that it grows back.
  4. quaintpapercut

quaintpapercut Active Member

Hashi has provided a lot of helpful information and suggestions. I also have suffered from hair loss. The first major episode was related to a change in birth control but subsequent losses have also resulted from prolonged periods of excessive stress and poor nutrition (not eating enough). The last serious bout I had was about 3-4 years ago and it was a huge wake up call that abusing my body with insufficient calories, to much exercise and not enough sleep can result in some nasty consequences. I eliminated a lot of harmful foods in my diet to neutralize (see point b hashi makes) spikes in blood sugar and also started taking supplements.

Things are fine now hair wise. But phew...it was a really painful and distressing experience.
    Hashi likes this.
  5. Sianm

Sianm New Member

Thanks for all the advice.

I had thorough blood tests done a few months ago & everything was fine. I am trying to have a diet of whole foods, eating meat, fruit, whole grain etc, plus exercising regularly anyway so hopefully that will help then!

It's just scary thinking about how much hair I've lost. I want to see the hair loss stop or at least slow down soon!
    Hashi likes this.
  6. Hashi

Hashi VIP Member

Completely understand.

Sending healthy hair vibes your way.
    Sianm likes this.