1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Happy Retirement Uncle Jim!

Discussion in 'Social' started by batgirl, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

My Uncle Jim is officially retiring from the military the end of this month, although unofficially he's already finished. I think it's so amazing how long he's been in, what an amazing career, and I wanted to congratulate him here! The anniversary of the day he enlisted is tomorrow... June 20, 1967.

He joined the military at age 16, the Land Force Command (army) and has served for 40 years!! WOW eh? I'm not sure how many different deployments he was on, dozens I think... UN peacekeeping missions mostly, as that's what Canada does a lot of. He was shot in Croatia but made a full recovery. He was held hostage for a couple of weeks in the Middle East, Lebanon I think. He was a base commander for several years. In spite of being so busy in the military he's always been an awesome husband, father and uncle!!

Anyways I've probably embarrassed him enough now. Congratulations Uncle, I am so proud of you! :)

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

Congratulations, Jim! What an impressive career. I'm not Canadian, but I'd still like to thank you for your service and sacrifices.

4. mouse

mouse Well-Known Member

Congrats Jim Its nice to hear such positive experiences that your military career gave you I'm sure you are as proud to have served our country with pride and honor, as I and most of ( Should be all of ) Canada are proud to have had you defend this great nation. enjoy retirement however you'll probably still be busy. A true Hero Thank you.

5. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Jim, congratulations mates on such a great career within the forces, one only others could be proud and aspire too. You have served your country for a long time mate, now its time maybe your country serves you for a while? Well done and congratulations on such a remarkable career.

6. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Huge congratulations on so many years of bravery and hard work. You deserve the break to be home now and with your family. I am still amazed people can do it for so long.

7. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Thank you all, appreciated. Don't know where the time has gone. Can't believe it has been 40 years. Veiled, did it because I enjoyed it. Period. Always have enjoyed that life. However. Yes, will be good to rest now, let my country "serve me" as you say Anthony, while I can still pick up my grandchildren!

Jim.

8. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Jim,

Congrats on your long military career and now your retirement. It's been years since I met a lifer with so many years in. Quite an accomplishment! I hope you enjoy your family, your grandkids and any and everything you want from life.

Lisa

9. nugget

nugget Well-Known Member

Congratulations and well done Uncle Jim, its not some thing you here of very much these days. Your family and yourself must be so proud of a accomplishment like that and i hope your country is to, well done mate, thats just pure magic. Best of luck down on the farm.

Cheers Rob & Jodee Darcy

10. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Congrats!

I agree with Anthony, it's time we served you back.. (goes and gets the pie...) Would you like a slice of pumpkin pie? :)

bec

11. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Thank you once again all, much appreciated. Was embarrassed initially to see this thread but must admit I am enjoying the congratulations. And yes pumpkin pie would be lovely. :)

Jim.

12. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Bec, it is certainly appropos that you mentioned pumpkin pie, as it is Jim's most favourite dessert. Evie's favourite as well. I have two such pies from the freezer currently thawing for tea tonight. And well done to my hunk of misery, my silly pet name for my husband! I am also amazed at how long he served (and amazed at how old we both are, how time flies!). I could only bear 10 years in the military myself, before I retired. But Jim truly loved it, he was born to it really. He's had a wonderful career but I am delighted to have him to myself now. :wink:

13. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

Congratulations Jim, what have you got planned for your retirement? Cant imagine you are just going to put your feet up now are you?