• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Has Anyone Done Self-Defense Courses and Been Triggered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catatonicky

Learning
Hi, Just wondering if anyone else on the forum has experience with doing self-defence type courses or martial arts and if that has helped with the PTSD and "feeling safe"? I have been advised to do one for years but when i tried it years ago i found that it was too triggering at the time and that i couldnt "fight back", that even "kicking" at a course buddy wearing a padded sheild would leave me nearly fainting with anxiety. At the gym i tried to join in with the "boxersizes" but couldnt muster enough strength to punch the ball, and felt so embarrassed and self-conscious that i told the instructor that i couldnt do that particular kind of gym work. Once i burst out into hysterical giggling watching the others punching a bag in unison. So i'm wondering if this is something i need to "work on" and force myself to do. There is a course being offered in town called "Israeli Defence Force Street-Style Self Defence" and i feel like i need to do something like this so i can overcome my fear of "fighting back". It seems that i have turned this into a no-no in my mind and can only learn to take and "suffer" punshment. Actually, that is something that i've turned into an art form. Any advice?

All I can say is if it is a trigger then go slowly and in small steps. Because it sounds like you are doing more exposure therapy right now. Just take it a little at a time until you build up the confidence. I did not trigger during self defence. When I took it I was a very enraged person and welcomed beating the shit out of something so I am sorry I cannot relate. Triggers and facing them, that part I can relate.

I would say look into martial arts since so much of the mind is involved not just how to hit and further be on constant guard like some self defence will teach you. I think we are pretty aware of our surroundings as it is having this. We don't need help being even more jumpy and on guard.

I would not avoid it; learning you are not a punching bag with legs and how to stand up for yourself can only benifit you. Just take it slow as not to over load yourself too fast. Good luck.

this might sound stupid...but...

what if you looked for a class with cool music etc? that helps my mind to not wander so many places. i do know what you mean with being triggered doing harsh and jerky movements like that. i have taken recently a body combat class and also a body flow class (mix of tai chi, yoga and pilates) and except for the "close your eyes lay on your back meditating for three minutes" at the end, it is a good release.

actually, the main instructors are from Australia anthony! they are so bad ass.:gunem-dow

yep, I have this problem. I was in Judo and everytime someone came near me to throw me or do randori, I would scream and run. Needless to say, I'm not in Judo right now. I'm going to work on healing my trauma before trying this again, but try it again I will.

bec

I find it is your chioce to do something that makes you feel good. I myself like the range ,it calms me down and gives me peace. Each to there own...mj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back