• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Has Anyone Else Read Complex-ptsd From Surviving To Thriving By Peter Walker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recovery4Me

MyPTSD Pro
Hello, I am new here. :) I did try to read all the rules and I think it is ok to ask questions on therapy techniques such as CBT , EDMR and supportive literature. So I was hoping to find someone to share with me on literature, research articles on neuroscience, the new certifications going on in Amsterdam for the wobbly acronym C-PTSD and how it assisted their journey. I will be glad to share mine as well...yes, I share this 'quacky' title. Just as I held codependency, until it finally became acceptable for billing.

Having the privileged of being an older female that has gone past a half of century of various medical billing codes for my same concern (really smiling here as it is funny at times) I realized that I am more than a label. However, it is only recently with the global net, that I hoped to find outreaches (such as yours)that transcended judgement on who I was, as I broke my silence on my flashbacks or the neuro-mapping hijacking. As well the occasional negative polarity dive from the flood of bio-chemicals (ie adrenaline) will also occur in dream states making it a tough nut to crack for my learned dissipating techniques.

Recently, I found this book by Peter Walker. I cried relief as many things finally gelled after so long of a journey. It was offer to me by a Therapist and I am in her stead. Yet I longed for community where I was not the leader so to speak, having to hide my spots but I could buff my imperfections in full view and be accepted.
So I humbly ask...did anyone else read this book and what techniques worked for you?
Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
Thank you for your guidance Ayesha! I came to the right forum but perhaps in hindsight was trying to explore with others the wrong book.
However, some of the considerations for alleviating flashback intensity within the book, has worked with the trauma acquired as well within my adult Domestic Violence (DV) victimization -or- perhaps the experiences with my kidnapping and ensuing repetitive captive rapes.

So with great respect offered to your expertise...is there a link that offers a defining line between what constitutes successful methodology/treatment for complex trauma as well as the sanctioned definition at this time?

For instance, my father having a war flashback during the fourth of July and shouting, "Hit the foxhole!" versus me, x-dependent navy triggering when machine guns are flashed and a large van flaps opens it doors?

Have patience with me please and of course if the thread can/should be relocated let me know. I hate making waves as a newbie :(

Reactions: C j
I imagine that is an excellent book @Recovery4Me .

I realize this is not your question, but isn't it possible to use flashbacks as a learning tool? Not only for information & perspective but also to identify what emotions and thoughts were present back at those times? ( I should say at least the flashbacks that are not just fleeting horrible images, etc, the ones that have more content & context. Though even the fleeting ones have emotional content & thoughts).

I imagine that is an excellent book @Recovery4Me .

I realize this is not your question, but isn't it possible to use flashbacks as a learning tool? .

Absolutely!!! I just stated the same thing (somewhere among this big site):playful:. Although in the beginning, I did not see it as such. Want to share? It is possible to talk about the methods without triggering the body memories for me at times. Is it the same for you?

Oh...ps...there is not an site that I am aware of called Recovery4Me ...it is just my board name. So honestly, I am NOT pluggin' anything. Just wanted to share.

Last edited:
I found that different therapy methods worked for me the best to unlock my compartmentalized trauma. However, I often really didn't feel the full release of emotions until some time after. Then at times (within the repetitive traumas) therapy would unleash a flood gate of emotions that seemed to chain like a sci-fy time machine movie.:blackeye: I would see the thematic run like a composite.

So I was unclear if it was the same for someone else. For instance CBT was offered within another site from a university in Australia. It was absolutely painless. Except perhaps for the part I had to relearn what was the 'norm' reaction for their given examples. But it gave me confidence, released some bad conditioning and helped me laugh.

EDMR no laughing matter, you know? Did you find it the same?

Hi Recovery4Me - I am new (today) to this forum and wanted to say hi and that I am in the process of reading Pete Walker's book having been diagnosed with complex trauma recently. A lot of people professional and sufferers alike do use the CPTSD, but I can see why the administration at this site consider it inappropriate - if it is perpetuated when it is not actually official in the DSM, we will not receive coverage for treatment and I guess nor will we be taken seriously.

Walker's book hits the nail right on the head for me. I too am older and spent a long time getting to Walker's book so I'm a bit reluctant to give up C-PTSD, but hey it is all about the billing in the end lol. Anyway, I'm getting so much out of it and all the little pieces that eluded me over the years are falling nicely into place. We moved fairly recently and I am in the process of trying to find a T who embraces a realtional apporach - surprisingly hard to find unless you're in a big city centre! It sounds though like you have located a good T.

My complex trauma came from growing up in and staying connected to a family of origin in which my F was an alcoholic, and my M and B had Narcissistic Personality Disorder (undiagnosed) - crazy making in both childhood and now the flashbacks and triggers in adulthood. How did yours develop?

Kizzie

Hey Kizzie! Welcome from one newbie to another.:hug:
How did yours develop?

I haven't had much sleep today so excuse me, if it comes out garbled. In addition to Family of Origin trauma, there was kidnapping with sexual exploitation as a teen. As an young adult- rapes, assault & batteries, and during the funeral of my young daughter my bio-father tried to force himself on me. As a middle aged adult, my x-husband disappeared with our son to another country for a bit. My new x-H (who believed in God, confirmed, studied the bible -ect) became addicted to heroine. He began downward spiral and entered the cycle into Domestic Violence. These repeated beatings continued during separation with his stalking until the state intervened on my behalf.

I have taught for over a decade and half at college. Slowly, I became burnt out from life & the increasing collective body of student needs. The populous in my area appears to be escalating with special needs due to their FOO and service/war trauma. The amount of older adults courageously attempting to continue school appeared to be largely latch key kids from a single parent homes and the majority (again in this area) had dealt with such horrific events, that the stress from them trying to balance their new path, triggered their flashbacks often (sometimes during class). Bless their bones...greatest of hearts and so loving to their kids.

So I took some down time. I needed to understand myself better- for myself and if led again, to serve them with full excellence. They were in so much pain...I needed to be clearer and cleaner inside. I needed to detox from the intensity. I heard 1000's of personal stories/crisis and felt blessed to be able to be fruitful and assist (as God must have wanted during that season). But then my own personality disorder reignited...full gear like pac-man.:chicken: lol. I needed to nurture/heal me during the possible job transition.

Should you wish to share more, please do so...it is different here. I am among (gratefully) equals and wise members within this community, you know? Did you find Peter's Flashback Management- helpful? Why or why not (if you do not mind offering)?

Again, a blessing to meet you.:hug:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back