• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Has anyone moved cities/states/countries as a step towards recovery? how did it go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LanaD

Confident
I do not feel safe in my home country (heck, in my half of the darn continent!) and crap kept happening that was making my progress really slow, if not reversing it so I flew to the other side of the world to feel safe again. Now I'm tempted to stay here in Safeland (for-friggin'-ever!), though sexual harassment at work is a thing here. I wonder if it would help with the PTSD, or if I'd just be moving my problems with me.

Have you moved to help your progress? How far and how did it go?

Being away from the place it all happened, and lack of fear of running into people associated with trauma, is great. Being homesick and feeling like I can never go back? Not so great.

If you are dropping baggage than it can be a very good thing. Just make sure you like the new place enough to put down new roots.

If you’re happy there, and feel that you could live there long term it sounds like a great plan :) I moved cities a few years ago which helped quite a bit and am about to move countries; I don’t see it so much like running from the proble as much as getting a fresh start and in a safe place where you can work on the problems in a healthier environment

I don’t see it so much like running from the proble as much as getting a fresh start and in a safe place where you can work on the problems in a healthier environment

That is exactly what it feels like right now! The constant harassment in my home country feels like opening up a wound every time it's starting to heal.

When I moved to another country with my dh, it gave me more space to not feel so suffocated from the pressures and negativity in my home country, and the distance it created did help me cut more ties with my abusers. But my problems didn't go away. They still needed to be addressed and I still need to take care of myself.

@LanaD I don't know if you are still interested in answers to your post.
I tho...

Thanks for your reply. I think our situations are very different. There are men literally physically attacking both men and women where I live. Those men are actually defended by many members of my community as well as by the government, and thousands more like them are being imported into my community. It is AWFUL. I'm not afraid of my attacker but I am afraid of being attacked yet again by these pieces of doo, who have indeed attacked me in the past.

I'm not running away from my problems, I'm running away from the physical aggression that my government is trying to shove down my throat as the new normal

When I moved to another country with my dh, it gave me more space to not feel so suffocated from the p...

My trial period in a safe country is making me feel safe and safe to be myself and it's wonderful! No matter where we go we'll have to work out our issues but I'm finding that feeling safe makes me better able to deal with my issues. My worries are different here and, instead of being on the lookout for douchebags trying to hurt me, I can finally take care of myself and feel free. I actually go outside my door without worrying now because I don't have to worry. It's incredible! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back