• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Has EMDR Worked For Anyone With Childhood Abuse PTSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried EMDR a little over a year ago. It was then that I learned that I dissociate & it was pretty bad. To the point that I would get in the car & drive & not know how I ended up in the opposite direction of my house after sessions. I never even knew what dissociation was or realized that I did it until EMDR. Now looking back I can remember times after something really upsetting happened when my brain just kind of went “offline” & shut down. I’ve been working on that for the last year, through mindfulness & yoga. I had a lot of flooding of memories & have done a lot of stabilization work/distress tolerance since then. I hope to attempt it again at some point, but it won’t be anytime soon.

Hi
Obviously my EMDR therapist did not know what they were doing . I was retraumatised and way over my window of tolerance. Went to exposures therapy very long and difficult. It was mindfulness mixed with CBT and Emdr which rid me of a whole bunch of body memories. I still have lots of other symptoms but it made a huge difference to me. I do not relive over and over all day and all night that specific trauma any more. Any one else had mindfulness mixed with CBT and EMDR and other therapies?

This thread breaks my heart. My partner received EMDR treatment for CSA, and I don't know what that practitioner was doing or thinking, but it made it worse, so much worse, and not in a "it gets better before it gets worse" kind of way. No, it just plain re-traumatized him and brought stuff up he hadn't even thought about or remembered since he was a child. But he had nowhere to go with it. He has now stopped therapy altogether, because the therapist who was supposed to put him back together after EMDR re-traumatized him again. He's now triggered by therapists in general. I'm at the end of my rope with this because I really don't know how to get him the help he needs at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back