• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Has PTSD Caused You To Attempt Suicide?

Has PTSD Caused You To Attempt Suicide?

• No

Votes: 137 29.0%
  • Yes, Once Only

Votes: 116 24.5%
  • Yes, Many Times, Various Ways

Votes: 220 46.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was only one time that I genuinely wanted to die.

The rest of the time I believe was less "I want to die" than it was not knowing what else to do. I lost count of the number of overdoses. Once with a razor. Once a real nifty self-strangulation I figured out with a phone charger when I was on the wards (place was pretty well suicide-proofed); also tied a shoelace very tight round my neck then tried to sleep through it. I've stood over the railings of a motorway bridge a handful of times; twice been talked down by police, once been dragged down (but I only started to jump when I knew I would be caught I think). When I was self-medicating with alcohol I would throw myself into traffic.

I still get thoughts and I kind of have a plan (one I don't have any intention of going through with in the near future). It's sort of like a failsafe. If my thoughts start going that way particularly strongly I say to myself that I can only listen to the thoughts if I do it like I planned. It involves a very long drive to a very long drop with a very uncomfortable landing, and is quite likely to succeed. If I don't feel like I could do it, then there must be more of a benefit to staying alive despite whatever difficulty I'm experiencing at the time. Plus it being far away gives me a chance to reconsider if it ever happens.

Yes, I came really close once, it was not long after my wife passed and I was feeling really low, it was a phone call that stopped me.

The call came from a cyber mate, who lives in Canada, had an idea of what I was planning, and his call stopped me.

Many thoughts of suicide, and plans in place for various easily accessible methods. But so far, no serious attempts. Just feel like I would like to. Hopefully it stays that way.

Yes, once when I was 14, again when I was 15, and I seriously considered it and took steps toward a 3rd attempt at it when I was 36. these were all attempts to end my life consiously.

I also put myself through a lot of extreme risk between the ages 14-26, and I haven't finished identifying them all at the age of 40.

One of friends grand parent had PTSD... I know him telling a time when he was acting weird of all sorts. Ended up killing himself.. Really nice man.. still remember him..

I have never attempted suicide. I will say that sometimes life feels very long when dealing with PTSD. during my better times, I can't imagine why I've felt that way. PTSD makes you tired of fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back