1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Have You Changed Your Name?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by shimmerz, May 7, 2015.

How often have you changed your name - just because?

1. 0 - I have never changed my name

47.9%
  2. 1 - time

35.4%
  3. 2 - times

3.1%
  4. 3 - times

5.2%
  5. 4 - times

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5 times or more

8.3%
  1. Notamorningperson

Notamorningperson Active Member

I go by an alias, and the only people outside of work that know my legal name is my pastor (for background check)

I go by that for a few reasons. For one, I'm a gender queer. Some people wouldn't guess that but mainly because they don't care and don't ask, which is the way I like it. But my known name is neutral.

It's also a name I consider sacred. And the secrets behind that name are guarded by close friends.

I'd never have it as a legally changed name, just an alias.

Ronin and Rain like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. brokenEMT

brokenEMT Well-Known Member

I lost 2 members of my family to homicide, and I legally changed my name after that. My old name is part of a life that doesn't exist anymore (it died with them), while my new name was a change necessary to live my new life without the daily reminder. It also ensured the perpetrators couldn't find me, and same with the reporters/media. No one who knows me now has any idea about my past, or my old name.

Ronin, Rain and Notamorningperson like this.
  4. 420kitty

420kitty Well-Known Member

I started calling myself Lexi and I changed my hair color to go with my new self.

Rain likes this.
  5. Rad

Rad I am not PTSD.

I changed my name legally for a reason other than PTSD.
    But changing my name really, really helped too. Because it felt like "severing" the ties with my past. It felt great (and I love my name).

Ronin and Rain like this.
  6. BookerNoe

BookerNoe Active Member

I changed my last name to hyphenate both of my parents last names after a very nasty divorce and I felt like I didn’t identify with my dad’s family any longer (oh yeah and he abused me for the better part of a decade). When I got married I was so happy to change my name again to drop his name completely.