• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Have you found an emotional support therapy animal beneficial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Standing

MyPTSD Pro
I have recently gotten a Chi-Weenie, a small 1/2 chihuahua 1/2 dachshund dog as an official emotional therapy companion. I have found him to be a huge help in comforting me and making me a bit more active, in that he has to be played with and walked. I find myself laughing out loud while playing with him, too, which is not something I would normally do...laughing out loud. He has turned into an excellent travel mate, keeping me company on long car trips. I have found it interesting how comforting it is to hold him in my arms. There seems to be something that touches deep inside when holding something that is alive and innocent. He has calmed me and helped me to focus on the here and now. And as silly as it may sound, he just simply loves me. He accepts me as I am. I never feel rejected by him. Though he is a dog, his acceptance makes me feel normal. Is that weird? How does your therapy animal help you?

My dog is not a trained therapy dog, but she is a rescue... by nature I am a cat person... so this is the first dog I have had in many many years... she is part dachshund and part terrier... and I do laugh out loud, a lot , at the expressions on her face.... like right now... she is wanting to play, and to work off some of that terrier energy, WE MUST PLAY, NOW !!!

So yes, she brings me a lot of joy, makes me laugh, but she does not like to be held.... but she does want to be on my lap all the time... which I can not let her do.... she is starting to bark, so need to go... the dog OWNS me.... lol

I got my dog about 18 months ago. Changed my life. Hands down the biggest single benefit to my health of anything else I’ve tried.

He helps me in a tonne of ways, but probably the best measure? I haven’t tried to suicide since he arrived. And I wouldn’t make an attempt now, just because he’s with me.

Yes, mine even goes to my sessions with me.... if he wasn't there, I am sure I would of shut down and quit by now. It's very relaxing, although I recently lost my other dog of nearly 16 years and they were best buds, so even though he helps me with my anxiety, he is also grieving his buddy too and does a lot of "alone" time these days

I lost my husband and my best buddy, our 2nd Leonberger Bailey in May. He was beneficial for me in many ways. After my mother died in 2010, he noticed a huge change in me and was right there whenever I had a panic or anxiety attack or was triggered by something or a stressor added problems. He'd lean his big body into the back of my legs and instantly calm me. He weighed over 160 pounds so leaning felt so good and instantly grounded me.

Correction: My husband and I lost our best buddy, our 2nd Leonberger Bailey in May 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost my husband and my best buddy, our 2nd Leonberger Bailey in May. He was beneficial for me in ma...

Such a stunning breed. I'm so sorry for your losses.

I have 3 dogs that I train in 2-3 sports. When I am feeling better I will compete with them again. It's how I define connection.

I have 2 cats as well. I have talked to cats since I was very young. Now I study them. I think I am part feline deep down ;)

Oops, that came out all wrong. LOL! I can laugh at myself today. Usually I'm Mrs. Articulate. However, my first line says that I lost my husband too. Nope. Just our beloved Leonberger Bailey. Going to correct that one. Sometimes I feel like I lost my husband in his work on our home. HaHa.

Earlier in my life when my back went out and I was partially paralyzed and had to spend a month in bed before surgery, our basset hound and a tabby cat were my constant companions, always on the bed by my side. I never called them to me, they were just "there" for me. It was if they knew I was in pain and stress. It was the first time I realized that animals sense a human's need for comfort. Then our last dog, who passed away about three years ago, always sensed my depression and physical pain. He would always jump up and sit with me or lay at my feet, or sleep on the bed next to me after surgeries or when I was emotionally hurting. There was a special connection with him. However, I never thought of him or the other pets as therapy animals. Now, however, I understand how important they are to calming and comforting me. Knowing the official role that my new pup plays, I realize that I have had "therapy" animals for most of my married life. How blessed to have such companions. I think I will go give my friend a doggy treat...he deserves it!

a tabby cat were my constant companions
When I had an unknown heart condition, my tabby cat named Annie used to sleep right on top of my heart. It made it hurt. I think she knew something was wrong. I soon as I got the pericarditis treated and I no longer had the inflammation and pain, Annie never again laid right smack on the spot. She went back to her favorite position, tucking her head under my chin and laying on my sternum area. She'd stay there until I fell asleep and then go over to my husband in his chair to get a chin rubbing until she had enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back