• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Have Your Ptsd Symptoms Ever Caused You To Become Violent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruth

Learning
I am curious about how many others have or have had a problem with violence since their trauma? I have made significant progress in this area but it was not without consequence.

Its mostly a defensive thing with me. I only get angry or something if i feel like my personal space is being invaded, or if i feel trapped in a situation because of other people.

I wasn't sure which to select- I'm definitely more flight than fight- but I do get violent when startled. I fractured a boy's skull when he ran up to me in the hall and grabbed my shoulder- I flipped him over my shoulder and into a wall. it's not an anger thing as much as a fear reaction.

I run away, period. I'm not a fighter. I would like to think that I'd fight to defend myself if I had to, but I'm not sure of it. The idea of hurting other people makes me squeamish. My fiance, on the other hand, does have violent tendencies that correspond to his moods. Last time he had to get one out I set him on a sapling that was growing too close to the patio without any tools.

If I feel stuck or trapped I become violent. Recently my fiance took me out to a place that was very crowded, he didn't tell me we were going there. I started to panic and couldn't take all the people around me, behind me and bumping into me. I wanted to hit someone, wanted to smash someones face, wanted to fight my way out. For me stuff like that makes me feel under attack. I remember I started kicking and punching things and felt like my blood was boiling. He had to get me out of there before I did something stupid. If a person insults or hurts someone I care about, even just emotionally, I become enraged and become very aggressive. I have become very protective of those I care about. If someone drives me to the point where I personally feel threatened I will hit them, I have done this a few times. But only because I truly feel threatened inside and I refuse to be intimidated or made a victim in any way again, so I lash out first.

It sounds like everyone is pretty defensively violent so far.

It's hard for me to place myself. PTSD has always been a part of my sentient life, so it is hard to tell. When I was a child, I had a lot more problems with violence, but I slowed down when I was 10 or so, and then my mother told me that I had to stop picking fights with older boys, because they were going to hit me back. This scared me a lot because a sick and perverted teenaged boy in my town threatened to break my nose and threatened me and my friends regularly as well as tried to sexually harass us regularly (on more than just a "I'm a dumb teenaged boy saying dumb things" level). So, that was about the time I put my own boxing mitts away.

But I'm still very violent when it comes to defending others, particularly my few female friends.

I tend to be protectively rageful. If I see someone in trouble I run towards the problem. I'm a woman 5'2" , it's never stopped me and now in my 50s it's still doesn't stop me, I'm under 100lbs, I stay fit, and I still run towards the problem quicker than my 6'3" husband who is 6years younger than me. I guess he is well aware I will get in the scramble and he worries I will get hurt, which has happened but not before I make sure everything is okay. It's in my makeup, I can't stand to see someone being violated, especially an animal. I'm just not afraid.

I have to be careful because I act before I think. I forget how small I am I only see raging red :devilish:. A man hurting a woman gets my blood boiling, someone cruising our neighborhood at odd hours will have me approaching the vehicle asking point blank questions. Only once was I violent towards my spouse and that was when I was psychotic and delusional and he was trying to get me to the hospital. I had forgotten to eat for days, take my meds, and had said and done things that were unlike me. I fought him not to put me in the car, but I was too weak. I bit the security guards and was strapped down for 14hrs. Once they gave me my meds I was myself.

Sometimes it's righteous anger not rage. I see nothing wrong with being one of the people that runs towards the problem, just as I see nothing wrong with those that run away.

I hope this makes sense,
Rain

I have locked this and removed the poll, as the poll asked two limited aspects for both a yes or no responses, when there could be thousands.

If you want to post this as a poll, please keep it simple and direct, yes or not, when literally thousands or responses exists on how someone could become violent due to symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back