• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Relationship He Wants To Be Active In My Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinewave

New Here
I just found this forum today, heck yes, it saved me from a serious cryfest.
I've been with my partner for over 2 years and I've seen him make so much progress! I'm super proud of him...he's gone from being very dependant on drugs to moVing away from all of that and starting to take care of himself and going to the doc, etc...he's recently begun coming to terms with the fact that he has ptsd and is taking steps to get help, despite hospitals being a trigger for him. Things have been a little tense for a bit, though. I've started becoming more serious about making art and occasionally get work at social events. He wants to come with me but often feels uncomfortable and usually there's some other factors that will trigger him. For instance, during the last event I was shoved into a corner right next to the stage. Being in a corner+people at your back+room full of strangers who aren't like you+alcohol=bad, for anyone really. He ended up having a panic attack which resulted in him running down a hill, tripping, and fracturing his arm.
I've been through something similar but not as severe; I'm bipolar and took a long time to admit it but when I did and when I stopped abusing myself, it felt like a whole bunch of old wounds opened up. I spent a good amount of time alone and in therapy it did me well to the point that I can now handle myself socially even though half the time I'm super uncomfortable. I've learned how to cope, and I understand that he's not at that point.
I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to tell your partner that you would like for them to be with you but also that you see the potential for a lot of triggers, along with the temptation of booze. I don't want him to feel like I'm not appreciative of his support or that I'm embarrassed by him.

It sounds like the social events are too much for him right now and I think it would be best for you to not pressure him to go with you.

It sounds like the social events are too much for him right now and I think it would be best for...
I agree that he should take it easy..I do the opposite of pressure him to go, to gently hint that perhaps he should stay home, but he really does want to try. I think sometimes it's more than he can handle and he doesn't realize it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back