• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Health Monitoring - Jawbone Or Equivalent... Do You?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Anthony for the thread.

I bought a service contract with my JawboneUP24 at an physical retail distributor so that I can exchange it if and when it fritz, right there. I wanted to avoid the mailing exchange lag.

I only did a little over half of the steps needed of the 7thousand (plus) but it is a start of a life change. I downloaded the app-up coffee, as well as the needed app for the device. Tomorrow I will review the manufacturer site to review those additional interfacing apps offered.

I noticed that my steps do not register if I hold onto a shopping cart or when holding an item. Just mentioning, will figure it out as I go.

Thank you everyone for the inspiration.

You have to calibrate the device first, and yes, there will be things these devices just can't measure. Good for you though for getting active with the help of one of these things. I started out about the same, around 7k or such, then went to 10k then 12.5k then 15k over the past couple of months. It took a bit to get the hang of things, get into the routine of enough exercise to cover the steps and such... allocating time, so forth... but now I find 15k steps daily easy. 90 minutes of cardio in the gym normally does it for me, walking, running, cross-trainer machine... and if I go riding, then many hours. Riding doesn't give as many steps as walking / running, but it has excellent calorie burn. I think 90 minutes of riding is about 5000 steps, but just over 1000 calories, for me (about 32km ride).

I'm absolutely fascinated with these things now... it absolutely gives me a daily target that motivates me to meet it every single day without fail. I haven't missed 15k daily steps in a month now.

I haven't missed 15k daily steps in a month now.

Wanted you to know Anthony, that I now seriously appreciate what you are accomplishing as I monitor my own steps.:cautious:

I know that we are all different, (yadee, yadee ,yada). However...please if you will consider posting your occasional achievement, it would keep me humbled and trying! Perhaps others would join in.

I have (exposure here) Meniere Disease-inner ear (left so far) balance with drop attacks from vertigo. I am trying to regain my life in between those hijacked days. I just learned how to use the Elliptical Machine on Sunday with my half-arsh balance. lol It is a new discovery in life as I was granted some genetic material (ode to your spoof) that had allowed me to excel once athletically.

I once saw a gentleman- Nick on video & TV from Melbourne, Australia that has no limbs, surfed, swims and thrived. So with that in mind, I try not to be a old baby. Thanks again for the thread, Anthony and your inspiration to this ole' lady.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally off topic but I saw on Dallas American Ninja Warrior last night a guy who was wheelchair bound previously due to rheumatoid arthritis complete the course to go on to Las Vegas. I have to say, it was heartwarming to see.

I try not to be an old baby too... though figuring out where to push and when to take care is tough.

Jawbone is still one of my "not yets"... I would like to get one this Christmas.

Albatross, you are very inspiring in what you present to me. The machines at the gym have the steps on them too (just FYI) and I have found some sites that will calculate things...should you wish to join in with the health plunge too! Just let me know and I will post them or send them to you on another thread so that I do not hijack Anthony's.:notworthy:

Elliptical trainers (cross trainers) are one of the best for those who need low impact, yet want high aerobic outcomes. Obviously you only get out what you put in, but they are next to little impact on your body overall, and they build leg and joint muscle strength without impact, so as you get stronger and fitter, you increase your momentum and output, thus you can get more out of the same time, or decrease your time to achieve the same result.

The other thing is... you want a good one that will ride smooth as silk and last the distance. If you're unsure, you're better off to seek out your local gym or exercise shop and take a few for a good 5 minutes of exercise each. If you like 5 minutes on them, then you can do hours on them daily, thus burn in excess of a thousand calories a day in exercise with 90 - 120 minutes on one, with near no joint impact other than standing up on it.

However...please if you will consider posting your occasional achievement
Unfortunately, I'm awaiting a replacement band and my current one is dead. I'm still exceeding my daily steps from my exercise, but I'm not recording them until my new band comes. My band died sometime Sunday night... so I got last weeks details. Even on that recent Sunday, I missed recording heaps of steps because the band was on charge, then it would die, charge, die... and I did that just to try and get 15k recorded for that day, even though I had well exceeded it. Got it though by bed time...

Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 8.49.44 am.png

When I get my new one, I'm setting it for 17.5 as my new daily goal, and will leave it on that for a month or more to see how achievable it is daily. Some days I like to just meet it and nothing more... my lazier days.

Seriously, 23,159 Steps ?!
What the heck are you, a Special Force Commando? :tup:

Wow Anthony, I need to up my game face to some realistic goal considerations! I have a few (older) Marine friends that would be secretly impressed with you. They are a hard bunch...lol.

Thank you...keep wailing on this thread and your health. Amazing.

I want to crack 30k for a day... I will do it soon, once I get my replacement. One hour of elliptical and a 10km run to start that day should put me in good stead at around 20k... then I'll just need to keep going for the remainder.

An older one... 28k for a day was my best so far... and I was pretty stuffed at the end of it.

Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 2.51.40 pm.png

Anthony...lol...I am only at half of the goal still with the 7000+ steps daily. My goal is to get to goal without injury within three weeks. Today a 80 year old lady made me look like I was standing still on the elliptical. I just smiled and said to myself...humility is the start of my proper mindset. Good for her!

One day at a time. Thank you Anthony for all you have done for so many. Hope you reach the financial goal set as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back