• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Hearing Strange Noises At Night.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melody coates

Confident
haven't posted in a while. work full time now, still in college, and just moved into an apartment. so been extra busy. this is kinda weird because it's not like I've never been in a house by myself before. every little noise I hear creeps me out just a bit. I have this weird feeling that someone is trying to break in.

I don't have anything to add to this post, but I'm so glad that such good things have been happening for you! I remember when you posted about your situation awhile ago, I was really worried for you. But, you really have done a lot to move forward. Kudos to you!

Hi! I'm new here, just joined last night. I live in Brooklyn, NY and know EXACTLY how you feel! I felt that way moving into new apartments even before the trauma of being attacked outside the door of my last apt. I'm a musician, so I look at it like every place has it's own song... The sound of your neighbors' dogs' barks, the way the pipes rattle, the rhythm of people coming & going and the cadence of footsteps. What is unfamiliar to you now, you will eventually find comfort in. How do you feel about introducing yourself to your neighbors? I wish I would have done that at my last place before I was mugged because I think people would have reacted more quickly, but it also helps you feel more familiar with your new home & part of a community. Good luck!

I heard some really loud noise last night and it startled me and I had trouble going back to sleep. Then I kept waking up when my body jolted several times. Finally I could not get back to sleep, I was so annoyed, so I got up. I never did find out what that noise was, but I sure am certain that it was not my imagination or a dream. I did hear it and it was real.

If you have a smart phone or tablet device, there are some affordable & discreet security camera options that allow you to remotely view the area outside the door of your apt remotely from your device via wifi. You might look into this as an option to give you some piece of mind.

I can really relate to this.
I have the same issues in my place. Iv been here over three months now and it seems to be getting better.
What really helped me was running a fan, the constant noise drowns out sounds.
Just remember every new place has new creaks, groans, and ticks, outside noises, and you have to get used to it. (Easier said then done with PTSD) perhaps sit in silence in your place during the day in order to identify the source of each sound. This could help.
I still put a metal chair against the front door, in case someone breaks in, my hope it will scare them off when it falls, it's a security blanket of sorts.
I sleep with a knife by my bed, (I'm told mace might be better)
Try and stay away from caffeine in the evening before bed, it can trigger a panic or anxiety attack.
Call a loved one when you lay down, just to have a quick chat. (not text, hearing their voice can be more calming)
Try to make a nightly bedtime routine that's predictable.
I hope these tips help. :)
Your not alone.

I have been in your situation before and have had panic attacks because I was convinced that someone was in my apartment. What I do is simple: breathe and slow my mind. When I feel my thoughts and heart racing, I tell myself to breathe. Also something that helps is to look around your apartment to check, and to calm your mind. Hope this helps.

I do the same thing...every little noise I hear when going to bed at night is a catastrophe to my mind and I have to wrestle with myself to calm down and think more rationally,,,in the end though, I have to get up and check the doors and windows to make sure they are locked, (which I can be very compulsive about).

I live in an old house and there are a lot of little noises as the house is settling and sometimes I find the sound is only the refrigerator running, but it still freaks me out. Once I know that everything is locked up tight I can usually get to sleep right away.

Anyways I guess i just wanted to say that you are not alone.

I play music almost 24 7. In part, to whitewash out all the creaks, thumps, rattling, whining, buzzes, etc. Especially in old houses where they're in the process of settling, and apartments where people move about.

I definitely understand this phenomenon. I never know if the noises are real or hallucinated. The only thing that helped me with this was getting a dog who would verify what was a real sound as well as what was a scary sound. When I have no dogs with me, or no reliable dogs (our dog at work is useless for alert-related stuff), it's like I am blind. I have nothing to tell me what's real and what's in my head. :(

I'm sorry you're going through this. Congratulations on your achievements, though!

I finally slept well last night, I think more because I was so tired than that I did not hear any noises. I had a disturbing dream though, which has haunted my waking hours today. If it is not one thing, it is another, it seems!

I do know that my neighbors stay up later than I do, and sleep later in the mornings too. So I try to do my quiet things first thing in the mornings when they are sleeping. Then when they wake up, I get busy with noisier activities. I like to read a lot, so sometimes I have to curtail that if they get really noisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back