1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Hello All - My Wife Has PTSD

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rtrollins, Oct 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtrollins

rtrollins New Member

This is the first time I've ever posted on anything like this, but I'm hoping that it'll be helpful in dealing with my situation. My wife was diagnosed a few years ago with PTSD resulting from childhood abuse. I do everything I can to help her and be supportive, but it's pretty frustrating at times.

I've been reading the threads for a few days now, and there seems to be a lot of folks on here that are dealing with very similar situations, so I'm looking forward to talking to others in the group. I might even try to get my wife involved in the forums, if she seems receptive to the idea.

I thought I'd start by introducing myself here.

Rick

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. kimG

kimG Well-Known Member

Hi Rick. Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear your wife has PTSD. It's such a crappy thing to have. I have it due to trauma against me while I was a child and my husband, unfortunately, is often on the receiving end of the symptoms.

There's a terrific spouses area that you definitely want to check out if you haven't already. My husband posts there (I'll let you figure out who he is...LOL...it's not hard to do!), as do others. They are a great support to each other and it's good for those of us with PTSD see it from the other side too!

I would definitely recommend trying to get your wife on here too. My husband noticed an almost-instant change in me when I found this site (I did too); perhaps both of you will see the same thing.

Take care!

4. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

Hey, Rick , Welcome here! i have to echo what kim said. my ptsd is also from childhood abuse. i am so sorry that your wife is having to deal with this also. she is fortunate to have a husband that cares so much to try and help her.mine has been the backbone of my support. the spouses forum is great here, and reading our posts can help you and your wife understand a great deal. this is a great, uplifting site, filled with help. this is somewhere where we are all "normal" and everybody understands, and you can feel free to vent!

5. permban0008

permban0008 Policy Enforcement Banned

Hey Rick,

Welcome. The spouse's forum is the place for you not that the other area's are restricted - except for those with PTSD only, for obvious reasons. Yep, it sure is a frustrating journey but with our help you should be able to find some answers and plenty of support. Encourage your wife to join as well, she will find a wealth of information and direct understanding of PTSD that those of us without cannot always provide.

6. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Welcome to the forum, Rick. There are many spouses here can help you by just relating and bouncing ideas off each other and just simply by going through the same things as you.

My husband has poked his head in here a few times but he complains I am a computer hog, or he would be here more often. He gets very frustrated but like many others here he really does all in his power to help and support. It is very draining on the spouse's end and y'all do need a strong support system that you will find here.

I hope that you can get your wife to join us as many women and men here can and do relate. It is not so much how you got the PTSD we have seen, but once you have it the battles are all so close and the symptoms of PTSD being practically the same. She will recieve a warm welcome just like you and this board can do so much in helping both recover.

7. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

Hey, Welcome!! We're glad you found us! Please try to convince your wife to at least lurk here. I think she will find that she has plenty in common with us. I, too was abused as a child and have suffered with PTSD since July of 2004. It's not an easy "disorder" to have, but it can be controlled and lived with. Here, you will understand PTSD better and the emotions that come with it. I commend you for being here for your wife, it shows that you care for her!

8. wildfirewildone

wildfirewildone Well-Known Member

Greetings!!!!

:hello: I am glad that you decided to join our caring community!!! You can learn a lot about PTSD here...get lots of support....rant...vent...and even LAUGH!!!! [check out the archives for our jokes thread!] I feel really bad :frown: for your wife having to have had a traumatic childhood....I too have PTSD for the same reason...plenty of us do....Along with everyone else I encourage you to get your wife to join us...plus you...This forum has been a great help to me!!!! I do not have a spouse but I still think it would be a good idea for you to checkout the spouses section...Again I wish you "WELCOME!!!"

9. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hi Rick,

Welcome aboard mate, glad you found us. I have no doubt that you will get the support you need here, plus some pointers in dealing with your wife, and yourself in regard to her PTSD. I would love to have your wife here also, so we can really tap into her PTSD and help her, which helps you both.

10. rtrollins

rtrollins New Member

Thanks to everybody for the warm welcome. I'm always surprised by the number of people suffering from PTSD due to childhood abuse. Until my wife was diagnosed, I had always associated PTSD with combat veterans, etc. Since then, I've learned a lot about the symptoms and triggers, but I'm always open to suggestions for dealing with it. It sounds like there is a wealth of experience here to draw from. Thanks again.

11. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Funny, many of us with PTSD that are not from combat zones thought the same thing. I being one. In the info section you will see a lot of what is capable of causing PTSD. Not everyone who goes through it will go on to develope it, but there are those like us who do. Not to say there are not a few guys on here who have it from military experiences, like the board creator to start with, Anthony. Lucky for us he saw that people who have been through things like rape, abuse, molestation, car accident victims... The list goes on. He saw that all the info is centred around the military aspect and we were left pretty much hanging in the wind. He has created a place where we can all heal if work hard enough no matter how we developed it. PTSD is PTSD no matter how you got it and more people need to be educated so that myth of it is a military thing in the general public is lifted and people understand all walks of life around them can have it. You normally learn it the hard way though. When it smacks ya up side the head.

12. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Ditto that Veiled.

Welcome Rick! I think everyone covered everything pretty much already!!

Bec

13. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

Welcome Rick. It's great to see another supportive spouse on board. I hope you receive the support you need too - Us ptsders are hard work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar