• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer Hello, Brand New Bird Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybird

New Here
Hello everyone.

It's so nice to meet people who understand the mindset and the strangeness that is PTSD. I recently completed my first sexual assault support group and it was wonderful to see that what made me feel alone and crazy was symptomatic and shared by my fellow survivors.

I'm searching for a community and friends who understand. Was misdiagnosed my whole life until recently, when an astute doctor heard my stories of unresolved child abuse and molestation (and a much more recent entrapment and sexual assault) and told me I've had PTSD since I was 5 years old, it was compounded by a chaotic home/ abusive parent, and I was re-traumatized as an adult after escaping and surviving.

In one sense this is clarity and my thought patterns growing up now are more understandable, but I'm still grieving for the childhood I didn't have and trying to find out how to parent myself and do the whole self-care bit. It's a process and I'm trying, but this is like climbing up a steep and gravelly hill: sometimes there's process and sometimes it's a painful slide back down. Finding a group made me more hopeful that getting better is possible!

Welcome @jaybird, happy you are here, if not happy about the circumstances that brought you here. Very glad to know you are supported by a T and just finished your group. Such a relief to know we are not alone. At least here, when we are having problems, everyone understands...
Hope to see you around ! welcome hugs if you accept them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back