1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Hello - I Have PTSD and My Daughter Has PTSD

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by lost611, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lost611

lost611 New Member

Hello this is my first time writing,
    I have PTSD and my daughter has been threw a very tramatic event and now has PTSD- I am looking for some help , I have been suffering for a long time with this and had it under control I thought until my daughters event took place and than I started to relive what happened to me again and again. Where I am losing hope is the therapy I am receving -it has been over a year now and I have good and bad times - but is there going to be a time when things are even, having a really bad time right now as I had to go to court a few weeks back on my daughters case and have not been able to control the flashes and extreme emotions, so where do i go from here ?- really i am lost as to what to do next do I continue therapy? What things can i try to do to get some of my systoms under control-
    Systoms- no sleep
    cut off emotionally from others
    do not want to leave my home
    gripped with fear at times
    walking around in a fogg
    Anyone that can give me some advice it would be great.

Thanks for reading.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Monarch

Monarch I'm a VIP Premium Member

i have been there, anyone with PTSD has been there. Therapy is a good tool, I have been at it for a year now and have still not talked about the traumas themselves very much but I have learned alot about coping skills and what to do when I have the flashbacks and anxiety. It is all very hard to get through, you just have to decide, "am I going to fight, or lay down and steamrolled".

4. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Welcome to the forum, Lost611

5. lost611

lost611 New Member

thanks for writing- I really need some help with what is next- do I continue therapy or try something else- my daughter is doing great, but i feel like i need something else but do not know what. Any advice ?

Elaine

6. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hi Elaine, welcome to the forum. What is more important is that do you believe therapy is helping you? That is the million dollar question. If not, then maybe you need to have a better look at what you need to do in order to help yourself. No therapist can help you, only you can help yourself. Its one thing to go into therapy and talk, but its another to actually begin actioning what is discussed, putting into place hard and fast methods in your life to take back control.

The first point of call for trauma is actually to go back and hit your trauma head on, pull it apart, have non-biased opinions thrown in to allow you to see many different angles and perspectives on the trauma, situation and outcome. Then, you may have more things to look at and think about in order to help yourself. That is the key to healing trauma basically.

7. lost611

lost611 New Member

thanks for writing back Anthony -
    can you help me see what you were talking about in regards to hitting the trauma head on- do you mean letting the memoires come- really seeing what happened ? and than the therapist giving me advice as to how to control the memoires or this is when I may come up with a different option as to how the trauma has control over in my life right now ?

Elaine

8. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Elaine, hitting trauma head on means simply you must relive your past in order to find the future you so much want. Therapists often say you don't need to go into the past in order to cope much better in the future, but let me say, they don't have PTSD, so how exactly would they know? PTSD must be faced head on, which means you must face the very thing you fear, your past memories. Doing this will make you very ill, have no doubt, more ill than you have likely been in your life. You will push yourself to your own mental limits, then some, but its for your minds own best interest that it faces the very thing it fears, as fear (negative emotion) is what fuels PTSD itself. To no longer fear our trauma, our memories and emotions, is to heal the very fear that fuels PTSD. Sure, thats not all of it, but its a good majority to lessen the overall severity of symptom impact upon a sufferer. Once that is done, then its refining all the little pieces and learning how to manage PTSD more effectively.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar