1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Hello - New and Trying to Accept PTSD Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by notsohappybooker, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notsohappybooker

notsohappybooker New Member

I discovered this website yesterday and I think it is just great. I clicked around, reading some posts from the various forums, learned about assessment and diagnosis and even watched the video “A Place Called Earth”. Then I opened the jokes thread. I haven’t laughed that much in months. However, because I was not registered I was unable to view all the links. When I need a humor fix I intend to go back and view those I missed. Also, I didn’t understand all of the references. For example, what’s a “Y front”?

About me: I’m a 56 year old female librarian living on a spot of forest in southwestern Oregon. A little over a year ago I began having some pretty serious anxiety issues. After visiting a nurse practitioner, a counselor and a psychiatrist it turns out I have PTSD. I have been reluctant to accept this diagnosis but after learning more about the subject I am beginning to believe it is correct. I am receiving treatment but it looks like it might be awhile before I am able to change my handle from notsohappybooker to happybooker but I am determined to get there.

Although I am a long time user of the internet it still amazes me that I have found some comfort from people so many thousands of miles away. The humor, compassion and occasional irreverence I have seen here makes me feel right at home. It really helps to not feel so alone. Thank you to those who began and maintain this website

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Welcome to the forum. I am happy to hear you are in treatment and have determination to get better. It seems only with determination that it happens.

4. skyward_falls

skyward_falls Member

Welcome to the board! :hello:

I can relate to what you wrote about struggling with accepting the diagnosis. Its not an easy thing to do. It does help knowing now, because here you are being proactive about sorting it out for yourself. So Yah! For you.

Again Welcome!!

Skyward.

5. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

HI Notso,

Welcome to the forum.....

Wendy

6. pandora

pandora I'm a VIP

Welcome to the forum!

7. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Welcome aboard, Notsohappybooker!

There's an absolute ton of information here plus lots of great people who understand and 'get it'.

Lisa

8. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Welcome to the forum, and we are here to support you, just as the community supports all off us now. Your not alone, that is for sure.

9. wildfirewildone

wildfirewildone Well-Known Member

:thumbs-up You are most certainly not alone!!! I know how hard it was for me 4 years ago when I was finally diagnosed with PTSD.....Some of the things that were happening mentally and physically for a very long time had me thinking I was the most bizarre freak on the planet!!! When I was diagnosed I felt that I freaked out about it emotionally for the whole next year....What little I knew at first SCARED:eek:me and but what I've learned about it and all the symptoms [different for everyone-though some similarities] it became a bit easier to accept....The information I've learned in different ways and places along the way have eased the panic I felt those first few years....As I say "KNOWLEDGE IS POWER" :crazy-eye ......HERALDING THE PEACE

10. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

welcome to the forum, booker! knowing you have ptsd is hard at first, but when you realize it means you are NOT crazy, and it can be treated, it feels a lot better, lol.
    cathy

11. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

Hi Booker, and welcome! I'm a book lover, too, and a writer. I was diagnosed with ptsd two years ago, and I still have more moments than I'd wish of difficulty accepting it, so I know what you mean. Anxiety and depression are big parts of what we're dealing with. You are definitely not alone with this. Hope to chat with you more.

Take care,

Hodge

12. dani730

dani730 New Member

My thoughts exactly!

I am also new here and am amazed at the comfort I am finding in reading others stories and realizing that I'm not alone. I am fortunate that I do know what cause PTSD for me and was immediatly diagnosed. I just don't know, and wish I did, what it is going to take to get through this. Best of luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar