• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Hello - PTSD Diagnosis Was a Surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, wise woman. People often feel guilty after an event, the decisions made and so forth, which is natural, but there are limits that most often forget to apply to this after event reasoning and analysis. What we do, we cannot undo, what we decide and act, we cannot undecide or undo our act; what is done is done, and we did it that way at that time because that is all our mind would allow us to do. If our mind gave us three options, and we have to pick the most appropriate, then we are still doing what we see best at that time, regardless the outcome.

Often when someone dies as a result of anothers decision, they slowly grow guilt beyond comprehension, hence why they usually end up with PTSD; but what most fail to see, is that they are human, and being such allows us to make errors. We then make a choice, either we feel guilty about our errors and suffer, or we heal our decisions, learn from them, reason with ourselves, then not make the same mistakes twice in life.

If more people thought like yourself Marlene, healing their PTSD would be much easier, no doubt. However, we are all unique, which changes everything.

PTSD surprise

i am not a vetern but i have been diagnosed with PTSD, depression and anxiety and panic attacks ( i think it is called GAD)- mine happened "overnight" also and twice.
i am an only child- my mother committed suicide in 1983 ( i was pregnant with my second child), then my dad committed suicide in 1997- we found out later he had been sexually abusing little girls- including a niece of mine all her life.
my first diagnosis was in 2000- i started having anxiety attacks but didnt know what they were- i started seeing my doctor for minor complains- i found out later this is typical- and at one appointment- i actually had a major anxiety attack - i broke down and told him everything- he prescribed Valium and Prozac- then switched to Xanax- it helped although i spent onw week in my bedroom then another week in my house- i was on Proxac for a year.this doctor was a former AF doctor and told me i had PTSD and major depression- he recommended strongly that i go to a therpaist but i didnt.
i thought i was okay and then this fall 2005- i felt myself falling again- i tried telling my hubby but he didnt understand- i kept getting worse and then finally couldnt go to work- my hubby and i won our own business- because of the mistakes i was making- i got a dog at this time- it helped but not enough. i finally went to a regular doctor- she diagnosed the same thing- we tried Prozac- it didnt work- then we tried a few other meds- fianlly she recommended i go a psych doc and therapist- i did in july- i am now on lexapro and things are better but not normal yet. i dont know if i ever will be.
this is all i can write-sorry
marlene- your story touched me
hurting in TX

Hi Hurting, welcome aboard and glad you jumped in to say hi. You don't need to be a veteran here, as there are actually very few veterans on this forum. Both parents commited suicide... wow. That has some pain to go a long way. I am glad your here though now, and just know, your not alone and we understand PTSD very well.

i am now on lexapro and things are better but not normal yet. i dont know if i ever will be.
this is all i can write-sorry

Hurting,

I know how you feel when you say things are better, but you don't know if they'll ever be normal again. I don't know if I'll ever be back to normal again either or if, with PTSD, you have to reinvent 'normal' for yourself.

Don't be sorry about not writing more. It took me a long time and a lot of rewrites to put my story down. When and if you feel like you need to write more, I found that this is the place to come to.

Your story touched me, too. I'm so sorry that you had to lose both of your parents to suicide.

I've not been on this group too long, but it's been a big help knowing that I'm not alone in this and that I have somewhere I can go to when I need to. BTW-welcome. :hello:

Marlene said:
I don't know if I'll ever be back to normal again either or if, with PTSD, you have to reinvent 'normal' for yourself.

You hit it with the second part Marlene... you will never be the same again with PTSD, but if you heal and learn how to manage PTSD, lets just say you will most likely be more refined and a lot smarter than you ever where before.

Welcome Hurting... my dad committed suicide too, so I know how horrible it can be. I hope you didn't witness either suicide or were the one to find the bodies. Sorry to be so graphic but seeing my dad kill himself was the worst moment of my life. I hope you stay and are able to get some help here.

welcome, hurting. i am so sorry you had to suffer through losing both parents that way. this is a good place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back