1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Help For Spouses - Groups, Therapy, Doctors?

Discussion in 'Supporter Discussion' started by paul, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul

paul Member

i dont know if there has been a thread on this before but my wife and i had a talk about the situation we are in at the moment,and she said a few things that got me thinking.
    when us the veterans arnt going well we can go to our gp.s most of the time and i didnt relize untill tonight how many people i have to support me.
    i.e gp,physc and a number of councilors.now i have access to these people fairly easily with my gold card and just wondering if some spouses dont seek the same sort of help in bad times due to not having a card as we know some of this help isnt cheap,and wondering is there some sort of concession that the spouses can get.
    i feel this is important as if we have a bad day and most of us will yell at someone and its ussually the ones we love,we can go and talk to someone but the spouse is left thinking about what has happened.
    then we come home and feel good again because we have got it off our chest but the poor spouse who has copped abuse has no one to talk to most of the time.

when i was on the course the spouses were told that they can have mild ptsd by putting up with us,which is my first concern.
    my second concern is that my wifes mother died suddenly 3 years ago and i think she has ptsd from that so i would love to know if there is a way they can access councillors the same way we can.

sorry for going on.

paul.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Jen

Jen Well-Known Member

Hi Paul ring VVCS they can arrange counselling for spouses as I was seeing one at the start of last year for a while. They are quite helpful!
    Jen

4. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Spouses are entitled to VVCS, the Peace Keepers Association also have spouse groups and support for spouses, actually, just about what is available for the veteran is nearly available for the spouses, pretty close. Yes, the gold card helps us with all medical expense, but the mental one's are all available to spouses also.

5. jods

jods Well-Known Member

Hi Paul

I don't know how it works with vets partners as I'm not one.

I know that as a non military spouse that if you need or want help then the only way you can get it is to find & pay for it yourself.

I was very luck that my bro works for the gov & has access to provide me with free appts with a psychologist. Not sure how long I am able to do this but I usually see him every 3rd month or so just to vent & get things off my chest.

I did try to seek other support before my bro arranged the appt for me. Most places have waiting lists to get in & you can expect to pay about $50 + per visit.

If you do have a good GP that you feel comfortable with, start there. If possible they may be able to refer you on to someone that can help.

Good luck!

6. paul

paul Member

thanks heaps for everyones advise it is greatly appreciated.

7. Brandy

Brandy New Member

Paul it was actually recommended that we do couples therapy through the vet center near us so that we can both receive help for his ptsd. Secondary PTSD is something I've heard of, don't know much about it, but spouses/loved ones can get it. Anyway, I hope you guys were able to work it out through the VA! They're really great with helping veterans and their families get the help that they need for this mental stuff. It's very comforting.