1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Help - Girlfriend with PTSD

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by dj_murloc, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dj_murloc

dj_murloc New Member

This wonderful girl I've been talking to for months through a website. I've spent hours on the phone with her and she's really been through alot. She has PSTD and I've been doing a lot of research on it and reading some of the stories here to try to understand the nature of the beast. Last 2 weeks she has completely shut herself off.. getting involved with.. substances and refuses to talk to me on the phone like we used to.

She sleeps maybe 2 hours a night and wakes up from nightmares and I've showed her these forums in hopes she'd register and find something she could use to a healthier sleep schedule.

I really don't understand why she is on this self destructive path and has shut me out when she knows I am the one person trying to help her. She's knows this but suffers from major trust issues due to lot of abuse she has faced in the past.

I am beyond tired of this communication blackout and need some good advice.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Welcome. Nothing more you can really do, she has to take on wanting to heal for herself.

4. dj_murloc

dj_murloc New Member

Thanks!

Oddly enough we got into yesterday and exchanged some rather harsh words.. I definately over stepped the line. I feel terrible about it and we had a long talk about it. I realize the mistakes I've made and vice versa. She forgave me and I am not really quite sure why. Anyone else would of told me to go f--- off and rightfully so. I wouldn't expected anything else.

How do you deal with the avoidance? Obviously being persistant didn't help much. I think if anything it made things worse.

Also, any ideas helping her get to sleep would be appriciated to. I know she's read a couple of the posts I pointed out but so far nothing helps. It's the constant nightmares that take her long time to calm down from that she has a real fear of sleeping.

5. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Nightmares come down to facing it over and over. Keep a journal to write out what was dreamed. You pull it apart and analyze. It takes time but now I hardly have nightmares so I know it can be done. It makes you ill and you shut down but it is one of many steps to get better. I hope she joins.

6. dj_murloc

dj_murloc New Member

She is pretty stuborn but, I will see what I can do. Thanks for the dream journal idea. I will ask her about it.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar