1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Help Me - Hate The World But I Need a Job

Discussion in 'General' started by becvan, Nov 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

I think the title says it all. I need a job as of yesterday but I do not want to deal with people, get really moody when near people, hate the freakin world, have huge anxiety attacks when in public. I took my baby step yesterday and walked my dog but now I have to look for work ASAP. How the heck am I going to do this???? I talked to the therapist about it and all that was said is I need to learn how to deal with people better (really? imagine that.. who would have thunk?) and that my attitude is not helping. Geez that was helpful. :boxem:

What do I do?????????

Bec * panicking mode now*

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Bec, were you in some type of social services line of work or am I mistaken? I am thinking social services helps others and something you certainly have a knack at! I am wondering if you know you are helping others and keep that in mind it would be easier to cope with people you may have to work with. And having PTSD you can certainly be sympathetic to people who may be there with this and not even know it.

I am thinking you just could be such a gift to others if you put yourself out there and you are so strong and think so logically. You can see and understand different points of view... I would think your abilities are boundless if you let them out. You display good leadership skills and tact. Along with common sense. I mean you are a gift just waiting to be unwrapped as those charateristics are not common in just one person.

Now being in the workforce again... Very scary but the fear getting back in is a lot of the fear itself I think. Once back in you may do a lot better than you think.

Now how to cope with it. I cannot offer sound advice and won't pretend to, others on here who work should. I am homebound and when I was forced to work I did so drunk and it was before I knew I had PTSD. It feels like forever since I held a paying job! So working and productive, good coping skills I have no experience combining the two. I hope when I get in a better place I have to ask the same questions and you can answer!

I know, maybe not much help, but I do have so much confidence in you and you are a kick ass and take names woman in a nice gentle way. I don't see a way you could go wrong! Get stressed yes, but not do good? Doubt it.

4. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Thanks Veiled. I have a hard time seeing my positive aspects. It helps to have that pointed out. The therapist really kicked the crap out of me today. I had to lay down for a few hours and the smell of the roast I am cooking is making me sick. Not good signs. I feel desperately trapped. I know I just need time to calm down and then I'm going to reread what you wrote and try and soak that in for some confidence. Yes I did and am trained for Social Services. There are no jobs here though. This town sucks when it comes to employment... I'm going to take tonight to try and calm down, watch some fav. T.V. shows and rethink all of this tomorrow...

Bec

5. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

bec, i work with kids (5yr olds) and they are a good diversion for me most days. some days it is particuarly hard because of their age and the fact that some of my problems were at the same age. other times, if i'm down, and we barely get through the day's work so i can sit with my head on my desk, then i feel guilty about their education. they seem to be on track, though. sometimes they make me laugh in spite of myself, and i love them so--i can't help it, somehow i am a "mommy-person" is how my own daughter put it. i don't know how i managed after my example of a mother, unless is was because i raised my brother, basically. sorry, i seem to be in chatty mode today.i said all that to say that i just keep getting up and going to work, some days are better than others, and that working with children seems to be easier than dealing with grown-ups.
    cathy

6. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Bec, not very helpful I guess, but maybe something that has little to do with people, ie. behind the scenes type work if you can't cope with social services type work. Your degree for social work would have components within it which could be used uniquely even?

7. nov_silence

nov_silence Well-Known Member

Bec, I have struggled so much with "no using" my counseling degree. But being a counselor only illlustrated the care I was not giving to myself. Being a caretaker (well trained by my mother) I felt lost at first not working with kids. I am working in a totally different field but find myself using the skills that I gained not only in grad school but the personal process I went through and am still going through. It has alot to do with how I frame things for myself. I need to believe that every experience I have had contributes to the work ahead of me: professionally and personally. And I am finding that I can be content with a job even though it doesn't have directly to do with my training. I think someday when I have healed more that I will go back to being a counselor.... I am working hard to see what I do between now and then as preparation for that.... so I will be more available on a variety of levels; esp mentally.

I can't tell you how scary it was to not be employed... but I got through it. And I made things happen for myself despite the doubts and the fear. What a powerful process it has been and will continue to be. I find myself having to make many many tiny decisions throughout the day about what outlook I will have. It's tiring but empowering in a way.

I am thinking of you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar