1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Help - Our Cat is a Compulsive Licker & Driving Me Nuts!

Discussion in 'Social' started by hodge, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

Well, guys, I think my title says it all. We rescued this kitten last November, and things were great. And, for a cat, he's very cuddly, affectionate, and attached to us. But a few months ago, when he would do his customary jump up onto my lap, he'd start licking me wherever he could find bare skin. And he's been doing this daily ever since. It's really driving me crazy! I love this little guy, but the constant licking is truly triggering and it's driving me nuts!

I know there are a lot of animal lovers on this forum, so I'm really hoping some can provide some knowledge about this kind of cat behavior and what I can do to stop it!!!

Thanks very much in advance!

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

I think it is time to really double up on lotion. Just look into skin creams and the like. Or have a little squirt gun handy to give the little guy a shot any time the tongue whips out. But I think if you are not so yummy tasting the cat will stop.

The lotion will do wonders for your skin anyway!

My ex FIL had a cat that used to attack his ankles early every morning he walked into the kitchen after getting up. He decided to put shaving cream around his ankles... I don't have a clue where he came up with that. But it worked LOL.

4. hodge

Thank, veiled. I guess I'm kind of concerned about our cat ingesting lotion. I do use some in the winter. In fact, he may have started this behavior when I could stop using it, as my skin isn't so dry anymore as summer comes on. But I don't know if the lotion is what prevented him from doing this. The squirt gun might be safer, though I feel I'd have a hard time doing that to the little guy. I don't want to traumatize him! I wonder if there's something in my body chemistry that makes him do this. He doesn't do this to my husband. I should probably do some searches to find out more about this.

5. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

It is likely because your husband is hairier so not as much fun to lick. And you won't traumatize a cat with a squirt. It is a very common training tool for cats and considered very humane. All mine have always been just as affectionate. When I still had the farm I had 10. Now I have 3. They are all happy... And better behaved.

6. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

Hodge,

It might be the salt on your skin that the cat is licking, or he is just grooming you to show his affection.. Yup, it would drive me batty too. Their tongues are like sandpaper.

Squirt guns, or spray bottles are a great way to train them.. It won't hurt them either....Cats just hate water, and it will learn real quick.

Wendy

Kas_Can_Fly likes this.
  7. melvin

melvin New Member

have you tried bach flower remedies? one of our cats licks us obsessively when he's stressed out. flower remedies work well to chill out his anxiety. we usually use the rescue remedy blend, but there are singular essences available to help with specific conditions.

8. Damiea

Damiea Well-Known Member

It could be all sorts of reasons.. I had a cat when I was young that would treat me like her "kitten". Licking and purring away when I was crying or upset. They say animals sence thing we can't.. so it might be just that he feels you need some extra attention! LOL another way I have used to break bad habets with animals is kind of treat them like children.. when they do something you don't like for attention. When he jumps up in your lap and starts licking.. set him down and stand up. If he doesn't lick then he can stay. That sort of thing! lol good luck!

9. Portabella

Portabella Well-Known Member

My cat was a rescue kitten from 2 weeks old. He began licking himself and biting himself until he was bald in spots and had scabs. This occurred when he was about 9 months old. I took him to the vet and he advised nothing was wrong with him other than he had a mental issue. He placed him on a pill called Ovaban and said that he would need to take one everyday for the rest of his life. It was for obsessive compulsive disorder and was also used for animals that believed they were pregnant when they weren't. I religiously gave him his pill daily and slowly tryed to wean him off, giving the pill every other day, three times a week, two times a week and he began with doing it again. I since have had him neutered and then tryed to take him off time and time again weaning him off slow. He is now 4 years old and has been Ovaban free for over a year. Might be worth checking out if he has suffered trauma, she may be having issues.

10. hodge

Veiled and She Cat, thanks for your suggestions. My husband doesn't like the squirting idea, but we'll see!

Melvin, I never heard of bach flower remedies - thanks - I'll check that out, too.

Damiea, yeah, I've been doing that - putting him off my lap and walking away. It's not working. When he was littler and used to jump on the table, we'd close him in a room for a few-minute time-out. I suspect it's too late for that now; should have thought of it at the beginning, but I was way too stressed out then! But how sweet your cat nurtured you. Our dog is like that with us.

Portabella, thanks for your idea. He could well be having ptsd issues, because he was rescued from the countryside last November, he only started doing this 2-3 months ago, and it does seem compulsive. I'll ask our vet about that, too. I'm glad your kitty is doing well now!

Thanks again, all - lots of good ideas to try here!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar