• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Help Please - Was In a Car Accident Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazandlee

New Here
Hi,
I was in a car accident on Friday, it happened on a higway at 75mph, i noticed a car up ahead that was swerving all over, for about 1 mile, though she was dwi, but when she started to drive straight and i passed her, i noticed she was asleep at the wheel, right then she swerved and smashed into my nearside and sent me into a fishtail, i struggled with the car for about 5 secs, managed to get it in a straight line again, and pulled into the shoulder, the other car smashed into the embankment on the shoulder, apart from some minor whiplash and a sprained hand i was ok, and the other driver was ok to, after we exchanged details we left the scene, my problem started that night when i arrived home.

I started to think about how lucky i was and started reliving it over and over again in my mind, in the last few days i have had not much more than 5 hours sleep, i wake up in sweats, im irritable, i have broken down 4 times in as many days, im being very short with my wife, all i can think about is what should have happened, i think about my Jeep rolling over and other cars and lorries crashing into me, and than i think of the wife that i may have left behind, this is all to much, i looked up on a couple of websites and my symptems are explained as PTSD, but i thought that it was only people who experienced death scenes and serious injuries, in fact i feel somewhat ashamed that i am posting on here, especialy when i see posts by veterans of wars, who have experienced much more than me.

At the moment im cant find my way to get back into my car, i my wife took me out and i was on edge all the time, i was very very alert, and had no trust in anyone, not even my wife driving, what is wrong with me?, how bad is it?, how long will it take to go away.

The worrying thing for me is, in the 20 years of me driving, i have had 2 othere accidents, and i never felt nowhere near like im feeling now.

Sorry for the long post,

Lee.

As recent as it is it would be called Post Traumatic Stress which is a very normal reaction... When it won't go away and go without counseling to deal with recent trauma you may go on to develop PTSD the D is for Disorder and it turns into years of living hell.

An accident is traumatic. I am sure it scared the living shit out of you! The best thing you can do is find a grief counselor or someone who works with trauma survivors. CBT may help you nip this in the bud.

Again it is normal for you to have PTS from this. Get counseling ASAP and do what ever you can to not develop this disorder. It can be prevented most of the time with proper intervention. Your incident is recent enouh yu can do this.

The best of luck and wish you well. Again get in counseling so you can work it out. Much of what is in the info may help you too and venting here.

advice

Thanks for that, do you think that it will help if i keep a diary on how im feeling from day to day, i have arranged some counceling sessions, but cant get to see anyone for 4 days, i thought i may start to feel myself by now but it isnt happening, lastnight i woke with cold sweats, i also have been having strange dreams, is this to do with what im going through, just want to feel my self again, i start back at work on Monday after a weeks holiday, im dreading it, i am a Manager, and i have the responsibility of nearly 60 people, im not sure how it will affect me, im realy concerned that it will affect my career and family,

A diary will do you a world of good. Key is getting out all of your feelings now and coping with them. Again what you are experiencing is very normal. Getting it out and facing it can prevent PTSD. Learning coping skills. If you can be saved where many here had no clue what was happening until too late and we all thought it was a vet thing... Many neglected help until it is too late. The sooner you face it the faster you can heal. I am positive every person here would jump to help prevent this turning into PTSD as we know the hell.

Get it all out and talk about your dreams, your dreams are a way of dealing with emotions. You may not have the trauma itself but emotions in it as a type of training tool in dreams to learn how to cope with things as loss of control or helplessness. Start a dream journal. It will help a lot too in stopping bad ones.

Counsel may be delayed but we are here. Some one almost always and can help when your posts come out of moderation. I am sure you notice they do not show up soon as you post. Just a rule.

Lee, get counselling now... DO NOT waste time, get professional help for a few sessions minimum to atleast ensure you have talked this all out of you, and get back into a car ASAP, like falling off a horse, you must force yourself now before it gets worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back