• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Help with racing thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dulcia

MyPTSD Pro
I am feeling very anxious today. I felt similar last night. It's as if I'm operating at a level 8 when I would normally be at a 2 under the same circumstances. Nothing significant has happened that I can think of and this doesn't really have anything to do with my SO or our relationship.

It's as if my brain is racing all over the place, so much so that I cannot be productive. I kind of want to cry while writing this, kind of want to go home and watch tv. I don't feel capable of making a single decision at the moment (should I heat up my lunch now or in an hour? Should I keep working on this task or start on that other thing I need to do and come back to it? Should I go get groceries on my lunch break or do it after work?) but, at the same time, feel overwhelmed with pressure to make these decisions. Such trivial things but it's making me feel physically panicked and I don't know why, which is making me feel more on edge.

I don't have any anxiety related diagnoses. I don't really have any current diagnoses. I normally live in the supporter section, as my SO has PTSD, but I didn't know how much helpful support I would get with this there... Any tips on how to deal with the racing thoughts? Any advice on how to calm the impulsivity and flighty pressure I'm feeling? I feel this way occasionally, but it usually would have passed by now and it's affecting me physically more than it has before. I feel like I could freak out if I don't figure something out, although I'm not really sure what that would look like. TIA.

@tiredtexan So, does this feel like you are going to jump out of your skin kind of feeling? If so, I get it sometimes, where I just want to leave my body to make it stop. Just trying to focus of other stuff helps. I get busy and do things, rather than sit. Although I have to say, most of the time, when this happens I kind of wander endlessly and get half of what I started done. Can't focus, can't do music he of anything done....

All I can say, is it does pass eventually.... hang in there....

I guess so. I get a skin-crawly feeling in waves. If I get stuck on a particular flighty brain loop I feel pressure in my throat. If I think of how unproductive I'm being because of this loop I feel stuck in, I feel a little nauseated. It's like I feel this intense pressure to not do anything while my brain is simultaneously swarming with all the things I need to do or all the decisions I need to be making. So I'm not getting any work done and it's making me feel like an awful employee and guilty and that seems to just be making it all worse. It's like I'm stuck in a rip tide in an ocean where the waves are procrastination and impulsivity. Thanks for answering, @She Cat.

I can't keep my hands still and have noticed I'm picking or scratching.

You don't have PTSD, am I correct???? If you don't, then it's most likely just stress that is building. Being a supporter to someone with PTSD, would qualify for STRESS and ANXIETY!!!! LOL!

@tiredtexan - for some people, increasing daytime physical exertion/exercise can reduce stress reactions.

You could also look into something called Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction - Google Jon Kabat-Zinn. The more accessible of his books is called "wherever you go, there you are". The more technical one is "full catastrophe living".

Thanks, @joeylittle. I go to the gym every day already so I'll check out those books. I'm starting to think maybe my phone is making me feel overstimulated. It's always there, there's always something new to see on social media or it's my turn to make a move in my game apps. I reach for it more and more during the day and I'm almost always playing music. It's distracting and not helping me focus on tasks I need to get done, and then when I'm not making any progress on those tasks I get stuck in a loop of feeling anxious about when I'll actually complete the task and then guilt for not having done it already. Going to try turning it off for hours at a time to get a break.

Maybe when I'm feeling anxious or antsy, I'll take a walk around the building instead of reaching for my phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I experience something like this from time to time. I just always when I am under a lot of stress. I might start having resentful feelings about something or someone while I am working around the farm or doing a favor for somebody in town.

I know I’m in real trouble when I start talking to myself and I am angry. I have to sit down and slow down and just quit what I am doing and start thinking something better. My stress level just gets worse and worse and I get worse and worse. If I stay angry. And every time it pops in my head again I have to smash it again.

Sometimes we will just be busy and that’s all there is to it. So we have to be inventive to keep that anxiety level down. Often we are busy because we have to be and we have to sleep as well. This whole process does not help with sleep and will make the next day harder and that loop will drive you into a panic attack probably.

We must be kind ourselves. Say the serenity prayer And realize that things are not as bad as they seem because we are here handling it. Everything is not perfect and that is okay. If somebody is riding you, expressing how you feel To whom it may concern should pay off.

Anthony’s cup analogy applies here all the way. We only have so much room and when our cup is overflowing regularly our minds and bodies are breaking down. It takes a bit of time as well because that cup empties pretty slowly in my case. It can take days to return to a normal state.

Rest and relaxation is in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back