• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

MVA Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mcc

I was in a car accident on December 24, 2016. Basically, it was two consecutive accidents, and I thought I was going to die. I walked away from the accident with soft tissue damage that took about 4 months to heal, but my back is definitely weaker than I remember.
It's been the toughest time of my life. I'm fighting my insurance company for a stupid amount of money. I've got really good family and other support, but at this point, I feel like I've got to deal with it mentally. It all keeps coming back: the nightmares and frustration. It's been almost 10 months, and I don't understand why I still feel this way. Most days, I struggle to find motivation in life. I just want it to be over and go back to who I was. I'm sick of being defined by this accident.
I just need some good advice from others. How long is this going to take? Do I need to be more patient and stop beating myself up for feeling weak? How do I do that? I hate showing weakness, but that's all this accident has done for me. I don't understand. I've got such a good life, so why don't I feel like it?
Just please help.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

There is no way to tell you how long it's going to take to heal. It could take a few months or it could take a lifetime. There are so many factors that determine healing time that it's impossible to predict.

Are you in therapy now?

Yes, I am seeing a therapist/hypnotist that I know and trust. I guess I'm just impatient with the healing process because I'm young; I've got a whole lifetime and things I want to do and achieve. I guess that's the biggest fear I have.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

There is no way to tell you how long it's going to take to heal. It...

Yes, I have a therapist that I know and trust. I guess I'm just impatient to get better because I'm so young; I've got a whole lifetime of achievements and dreams that I want to get. I don't want this to affect that anymore.

Then welcome to your new life with PTSD. You will eventually heal to the point where you can manage your symptoms and the old you will shine through once again and you will be able to do so much. But until them take the best care of you that you are able and healing takes as long as it takes. I am sorry but that is the truth. I understand the feeling that you are having of being stuck and not being able to be the person you used to be but this event has forever changed your life and new beliefs and perspectives will emerge out of you as you continue to go to therapy and your doctors. Just do not give up no matter how much you may want to on some days, you are so worth fighting for.

Then welcome to your new life with PTSD. You will eventually heal to the point where you can manage your s...

Thank you very much. That's hard to hear, but I guess it's the truth. Reading the stories on this sight have helped so much. Instead of waiting for my symptoms to be over, I should accept that they're there and learn to live with them and manage them. Thank you everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back