• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Herbal And Nutritional Supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iam

MyPTSD Pro
My T suggested this week that I start taking supplements and drinking more water. He said dehydration increases depression symptoms.
He also suggested that I take All One by Nutratech, 1,000 mg of C, Calcium, Magnesium and at night, Valarian Root as a sleep aid. He said that this should have an immediate effect on my mood. If not I am to talk with my Dr Tuesday morning at my annual in regards to going back on a very small, 5 mg, dose of celexa.

I have taken these for 2 days and do feel better...placebo effect? That being said......as far as Valarian Root as a sleep aid, it seems to be having the opposite effect for me. Not unusual, my body is hypersensitive to anything I put in it and I frequently have the opposite reaction to what is intended. Maybe I just need to lower the amount of Valarian Root or maybe it is just coincidence.

Just curious about individual experience with these as opposed to prescription meds. I would love to use natural means. James, I know that you are very into nutrition, drinking lots of water and exercise. What is your experience with these supplements?

I tried everything natural under the sun for years and years to alleviate the anxiety and depression. Nothing helped. That being said, when I was at my worse and not sleeping for years on end, I did do all the sleeping meds and none of those could knock me out. The hypervigalence is really bad for me and sleep is pretty much impossible.

Good luck and I hope they continue to make you feel better. For me, I had to bring out the big guns........sucks

Could it be that the vitamins have your body hyped-up and ready to go at sleep time? Maybe after your body adjusts to the new input things will settle down. I take valerian when I need to, have for years. I find that if I go right to bed at the first sign of sleepiness (15-25 min.) I'll sleep good, but if I stay up past that it's hard to sleep, kind of like I got a second wind or something.
Hope thats a help!

Thanks to both of you. I am noticing a HUGE change in my mood, but that could just be that I have had time to heal from the last trigger a couple of weeks ago. Who knows. My body is extremely sensitive to what I put into it so I do believe that vitamins could be a big factor in how I feel emotionally.

Adam, I cut back to one capsule instead of the recommended 3 of valarian root last night and I slept much better.

Again, since my body is so hypersensitive, it could be that I just need less...or maybe it's all coincidence. The only way I'll know is to stop completely and see what happens in a few days. I think I will wait until next week until experimenting though. After the last couple of weeks I really need the emotional rest right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back